(12) Newsie School [2/4]

"Are you's paying a'ttention Pete?" I look back up at Race. What was happening again? Oh yeah, more newsie school. I could see out the window the sun slowly falling lower and lower in a colorful parade of pinks, oranges, and yellows. I could not tell you what I even did today, yes I did sell papers. But besides that, I guess live? "Da next way we's gonna show ya ta sell papes is by doing tricks." Tricks? Is this some kind of circus.

 "HEY MIKE, IKE COME HERE." Mike and Ike walk over to us, looking bored already. "Can one of you's do some kind of trick." Ike (or Mike I can't tell,) backs up from us and stand in the middle of the room. He blends his legs and jumps up in the air, it looks like he rolling in the air.  "THAT'S ME BOY!" Mike or Ike yells after the twin lands the trick. Some other newsies in the room clap or cheer. "Now Pete, da reason newsies like Mike and Ike do tricks is because people like da see flashy things, it gets their attention and so afte'a Mike or Ike could yell something about papes and lots of people will go up da them." Race explains, I nod my head. Mike and Ike were looking at me, "maybe Pete should try a trick." One of the twins said, Race looks at the twins, then back at me. He slowly nods his head. "We's will do something basic, a heel click. Mike, show Pete what that is." Mike jumps up in the air, kind of leaning to side. With his heels together. He lands down barely making any noise. "You's try Pete." I stand up from my bed, checking to make sure my cap was on tight. I go in the middle of the room. I take a deep breath and jump up into the air, the next thing I know I fall down on the floor with a loud smack. I hear all the newsies in the room laugh, I sigh as I stand up, going back to my bed feeling defeated. "Well Pete, maybe you's wasn't born ta do tricks. I's still gotta teach ya a few more things, afte'a selling tomorrow I's teach ya something new." Race walks away from my bed, I lay down on my bed. Not wanting to look or talk to anyone. 

"Hey Pete," I turn my head, hoping to see Specs. But instead I see the twins. "Want to's play a game?" I look at their faces to make sure nothing funny was going on, I reply. "S-Sure." The twins smile at each other and look back at me. "Which one's of us is Ike?" One of the twins ask, I sit up on my bed and look closely at them. I really didn't know the twins that well, but maybe if I can see some kind of different then I could guess base on what I know about each twin. After a few more moments looking at them I say, "t-the one in g-gray is Ike." The twins look a little shocked, "How could you's tell? It normally takes newsies forever to guess right. Are you's some kind of wizard." Mike asks, I reply. "N-no, just smart.' The twins look at each other, mouthing some words at each other. They turn their eyes back on me. "Hey I's like you's Pete, maybe tomorrow you's can sell with me's and Ike."

"Of course we's gotta ask Jack about that, otherwise it's would be illegal." Ike adds, I shrug my shoulders, "s-sure." They both smile, "it's a deal then." Mike and Ike both spit in one of their hands and hold it out for me to shake. I stare at their hands and then spit in my hand and shake their hands. I was going to have to wash my hands for hours tonight. I watch the twins leave the area by my bed, I spend the rest of the evening watching everyone. The newsies were starting to glow on me.