31

Adelaide sighed. It was so silent, the silence was actually a little daunting. Jumping when there was a crashing sound from one of the rooms on the ground floor she perked up and stood up from the stairs. Slowly and quietly she walked along the corridor. Reaching the room where the crashing came from she went to push the door open just as it was pushed out. Adelaide's eyes widened and she turned to run off, if only her jacket collar hadn't been clutched onto. "Let me go!"

"Adelaide, where would he go?"

"I...I don't know! Honest! He told me to stay here, honest! I wouldn't lie to you."

"You have done before."

"Ah...well...that was an accident..." Adelaide looked over her shoulder. Batman still looked down at her unimpressed. "How did you find this place?"

"I've known you've been here for days."

"...Then why only now are you crashing through our windows?" Batman narrowed his eyes. Adelaide smiled lightly. "I still don't know." She said honestly while straightening up and tapping his hand. Getting the message he let her go. Adelaide wasn't going to dart off. Even if she did he'd catch her in seconds. "What happened?"

"You know what."

"Mort."

"Yes."

"And?"

"Where is Harvey?"

"Well he isn't here, is he? If he was you'd be dodging bullets by now."

"Is there anywhere Harvey would go, apart from here?" Batman asked ignoring her previous sarcasm.

Adelaide shrugged. "I have no idea. Truthfully. I have no idea." Adelaide walked over and sat at the table which was in the room. "He never speaks about places, or things." She looked up at him as he turned and looked down at her. "Plans yes, and I don't remember him saying where he was taking Mort once he got him." Adelaide stood up. "I can't help you."

"You do realise he means to kill Mort?"

"Yes."

"And you're still going to protect him regardless of this information?"

"It's not like he hasn't previously killed someone." Adelaide said. "I know you're trying to find him and you're going to offer him help...but what if he declines?" Adelaide walked to the door. "Harvey is still in there, no matter what other people say, he is. But...so much of him is also missing." Adelaide pulled her coat more around herself. "Let's go and find him."

"Your mortality has suddenly kicked in."

"It never went really, but I do want him to get help."

"Why are you offering to help me now?"

"His anger...and moments...they're happening more, and they scare me." Adelaide said honestly while opening the door and looking up at him.

There were many parts in Gotham which had been used previously by the emergency services. Decommissioned buildings, dark and shattered and empty. It was one of these buildings which Harvey was currently standing in. Cross armed and frowning down at the man strapped to a chair. Harvey had found one of the old jails. There were a few abandoned jails dotted around the city. They were hidden from view though. Harvey only knew were they were because he had set out to find them.

Mort twitched and moaned, slowly his head lifted up and he looked around confused. "Evening, Mort." Harvey smiled slowly and uncrossed his arms. Leaning down to his level he tilted his head to the side. "How are you feeling?"

"Where...where am I?!" Mort exclaimed and looked up at the bright lights which were on the ceiling.

"Jail." Harvey said simply, Mort frowned and looked at him. "Not the main Gotham one, but one of the old ones. You remember them, right? They closed them down because of the foul treatment of the inmates." Mort struggled against the restraints which were around his ankles and wrists. "You're not going to get out." Harvey sighed and reached up and pulled a cap down.