41

Harvey opened his eyes slowly. Putting a hand to his head he sighed quietly. Since his surgery he had soon found himself suffering from nightmares. These nightmares stemmed from his other personality. The same personality which had currently been silenced. Looking over to the sofa, Harvey peered over the arm. Adelaide wasn't there. Frowning and standing up he walked off. Stopping in the corridor he looked down to the kitchen.

Adelaide had frozen and was watching him with a sidewards glance. Picking up walking, Harvey smiled at her. "I dislike the man, but I have to say." Adelaide paused to drink some of her tea. "He's a bloody good surgeon."

Harvey pulled the chair out from under the table and sat down. Nodding slowly he leaned his head against his hand. "Don't let him hear that though, it'll boost his already swelling ego."

"Can I ask, what does he want in exchange?"

Harvey blinked and sat up and away from his hand. "Well you certainly don't mess around do you?"

"Hm," she smiled and nodded. "Might as well get straight to the point."

"He's half concocted a mad scheme to get rid of Batman." Harvey said, Adelaide's reaction was to choke on her tea. Harvey reached over and gently patted her on the back.

"Is he mad? Wait...don't answer," she held a hand up. "Thanks," Adelaide smiled while Harvey patted her on the back one last time.

"Rhetorical question, huh? But you're welcome."

"Are you going to help?" Adelaide looked at him seriously. "Oh Harvey..." She trailed off when he looked half thoughtful over her question and the proposition which Thomas had set him.

Sliding his eyes from the table to her he smiled lightly. "Maybe."

"You're an idiot." With that said Adelaide stood up, she put her empty cup in the sink and walked out of the room. Looking around confused Harvey stood up and walked after her.

"That's kind of you." He said, Adelaide flinched and turned to look at him. Harvey smiled at her confused expression.

"...It wasn't a compliment. It was a statement." She raised an eyebrow and wagged a finger at him. "You're acting normally."

Frowning Harvey crossed his arms. "Is that a complaint?" He asked seriously, Adelaide's eyes widened and she shook her head. Harvey watched the simple subtle fear spread over her features. Picking up her coat Adelaide slipped it on, "Sorry."

"It's fine. Just...fine." Buttoning it up she patted her pockets and nodded slowly.

"Where are you off to?" Harvey asked interestedly.

"Shopping." Adelaide replied, Harvey pulled a face. "Not that sort of shopping!" She laughed and pulled her hood up. "Seems my home has got one more occupant, I need to get more food." Opening the door she narrowed her eyes at the rain which was falling heavily downwards. Heaving a sigh she eyed up the large puddles which were forming in the broken cracks and potholes in the pavement and roads.

"Addy?"

"Yup?" She peeked out from under her hood.

Harvey looked from her to the rain and then back again. From where he was standing he could see shifty shadows in nearby alleyways. "I think I should come with you." She raised an eyebrow at this, looking over her shoulder she looked back to him. "It's not safe down here in this part of the city, after all."

Adelaide looked down at her boots and nodded. "Get your coat then." She put her hands in her pockets and stood waiting for him. Looking skywards, Adelaide watched as the dark grey clouds shifted across the sky.

"Come on then." Harvey put his hands on her shoulders and gently nudged her out of the house. Closing the door behind himself, he walked closely to her as they walked quickly down the street. It didn't take long to get into the main part of the city. People still buzzed around getting on with their business, the horrid weather didn't slow or stop them in the slightest.

Getting suddenly tugged into a building, Harvey looked around. Adelaide pulled down her hood and smiled. "You look so out of place." She stated while picking up a basket and taking to shuffling down the aisles.

Harvey jumped and walked quickly after her. "Need I remind you it has been a long while since I went shopping." He looked around at the shelves.

"Or anything remotely normal." Adelaide looked up at him, "Like shopping." She reached up to get something from a shelf, only she couldn't reach. Harvey smirked and watched her tiptoe, in the end he picked the item up and gave it to her. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." He grinned as Adelaide huffed and shuffled off again. He shouldn't get enjoyment from minor annoying her, but it was fun. "I've been thinking," he said suddenly while Adelaide stood blankly looking at bread. Blinking and looking up at him she nodded. "You don't seem too happy."

"Okay." She answered sharply and picked up walking away.

"No I didn't mean it in a way of you being depressed," Harvey said and earned a glare. "I didn't mean it to sound like that."

"Mr Dent, I do believe you are digging yourself into a rather large hole." Adelaide smiled.

Sighing lightly, Harvey nodded. "What I mean is, can I take you out of the dark slum area of Gotham?"

"And go where?"

"Anywhere, just not there."

"Sure."

Harvey double took, "What?"

"I said sure."

"I actually didn't think you'd agree."

"Originally I was going to go to your home. But I couldn't." Adelaide dodged out of the way of an elderly woman with a trolley.

"Why?" Harvey asked quietly.

"Because it was your home. Not mine, it seemed weird to be there minus you. Haven't I told you this before?"

"So, if I'm there you'll stay?"

"Harvey," Adelaide stopped walking and looked up at him. Pausing and thinking over her words she swung the basket from hand to hand. "Wherever you are, I would gladly be. No matter what, even if you decide to take down more crime lords, I would gladly be there with you." Adelaide said and looked down at her boots. Looking up when something patted her on the head she frowned at Harvey.

"You secret romantic you." He whispered, Adelaide's eyes widened and she waved his hand off of her head. Walking quickly and putting an arm around her shoulders, Harvey looked down at her. "I wouldn't want you anywhere else."

----

(Edited: 30/Jan/2020)