Chapter 3

I was up as early as instructed. I was making breakfast when Prince Balthazar came in with a little boy who had wings like his and bright gold eyes. "Lui, this is Azula," the Prince introduced. "She is my newest slave." The boy studied me before looking at his father, "Why doesn't she wear a uniform like mother's slaves?" "Because mine have no need for uniforms since we aren't in the palace," Balthazar told him.

"What kind of slave is she," he asked next. "She is universal," He replied next. "Can she read and write," Lui asked next. "In many languages," Balthazar confirmed. "Its pointless for them to be able to read and write. They don't need to be intelligent to do their job," Lui said with a roll of his eyes. "I think you wasted your money father." "I bought her, because she is rare," Balthazar explained. "At the beginning of the war, the ice Fae were almost wiped out by the vampires." Lui scoffed, "Vampires? Seriously? They're some of the weaker species. I though the Fae were better than that? They must have been pathetic to have been taken out so easily." "When the vampires attacked, they did it during the summer solstice, a day where the ice Fae have no magic due to the curse the Fire Fae Gods had put on them many centuries ago. They were as powerless as humans that day," Balthazar told him.

"We started learning about the war in school yesterday. They spoke about how you took out hundreds of soldiers so easily," Lui said, pride shining in his eyes as he looked at his father. Balthazar nodded, "I did indeed. It was my performance on the battlefield that made your grandfather declare me the next King." "If you're such a great warrior though, why do you let Uncle Deckland push you about the way you do," Lui asked as I placed their breakfast in front of them. "Because I have no legal grounds to kill him on," Balthazar told him.

"I wish you did. I don't like him," Lui said with a sigh. "He forces me to stay in my room when I am not with grandmother or at school. I'm not some prisoner." "It is because you are my son, and I am working on getting full custody of you, but your mother and Uncle have a silver tongue that is making it rather difficult," Balthazar told him. "Are we going to do anything fun this weekend," Lui asked him.

Balthazar nodded, "We are. We're going to the Dragon Fields." Lui gasped, "Really?" His eyes lit up with excitement. The Dragon Fields was like a safari, but with dragons of all kinds. Only the brave of the brave go because there is no one to protect you when you go. If you die, that's on you. There is even an agreement you sign before entering that you understand the risk you are taking. "Will the slave be going," Lui then asked. "Azula will be staying here, enjoying some free time," Balthazar told him. Lui made a strange face, "You give your slave free time?" Balthazar nodded, "If she is over worked, she'll be too tired to perform the way I need her too." "Maybe that is why mom's slaves always screw up or drop something," Lui said.

"Will we be camping there," Lui asked next. Balthazar shook his head, "It is much too dangerous to camp. When you're older and can handle the weight of a sword, then we'll camp." Lui sighed, "Fine."

After that they talked about how Lui was doing in his classes. "Music is stupid," Lui told him. "Why do I need to learn how to play an instrument?" "Your mother believes the royalty should exceed in everything," Balthazar told him. "What do you believe in father," Lui asked him curiously. "That you should find the one thing you're good at, and become the best at it, so that way, it's what you're known for," his father answered. "Like I excelled in many forms of combat, torture, and war tactics." Lui then pointed to me, "What does she excel at?" "I don't know," Balthazar replied. "What is it you excel at, outside of what you were trained to do Azula?"

Memory flashes from when I was young hit my mind. "When I was a child, before the war, it was ice skating. I loved it, and would practice every day. After the war, it became tracking. Lasu used me to find the children who would escape. Some had even ventured into the Black Thorn Forest a few times, and I had to get them out," I shared with them. They both just stared at me then. "We're talking about the same Black Thorn Forest that has the black fanged manticores right," Lui asked me. I nodded, "The very one."

Lui looked to his father, "She isn't telling the truth is she?" Balthazar nodded, "She is son." Prince Balthazar, and many other royals have the ability to use their magic to detect when someone is lying or telling the truth. They can also use that same ability to make it seem like they themselves are always telling the truth to other royals. "Did you see any of the manticores," Lui asked me. I nodded, "As well as a few hell cats."

"That is so cool," Lui said, a new light in his eyes. "Then we may have a need for your services after all," Balthazar stated, and I hid the drop of fear I felt. Dragons were ferocious creatures. I nodded, "Yes sir." After they finished their breakfast I cleaned the kitchen and went about doing the laundry. I had just set the timer for the washer when the Prince came in. "Come with me," He told me. I nodded and he took me to a room filled with weapons.

"Do you know how to use any of these," he asked me. "I know Lasu likes to ensure many of her slaves have some combat training so the slaves are able to protect their owners from their enemies." I looked around the weapons and found a set of twin blades that looked light enough for me to wield. "You will carry them tomorrow to help me protect Lui," he told me. I nodded, "Yes sir."

"Give me your honest opinion. What do you think of my son," He asked me after a moment. I knew he would be furious if I lied. However, I feared if I didn't word my opinion correctly he would be furious as well. "He seems to be a bright and intelligent young boy. However, I have concern for his love for violence," I told him. "Concern," he asked while raising an eyebrow. "Yes your majesty. I just feel he is using it as a way to be close to you since you only see him on weekends. From what I heard, it sounds like his family at the castle, aside from your mother, doesn't spend time with him. I know that demons are capable of more than just pain and violence. After all, Toria and Museffo wouldn't be worshipped it that were the case. I see he has potential to be a great King one day, as long as he has the right guidance, and that isn't your brother nor his mother," I shared with him. I then felt as if I overstepped my boundaries.

"You got all of that from one conversation," he asked me, while slipping his hands into his pockets. I nodded while feeling slightly nervous, "I did." He was silent for a moment before he nodded, "You are absolutely right. My brother is setting the worse example possible for my son. Now tell me, did he offend you?" I shrugged, "I'm not able to feel things such as being offended. I'm a slave after all." I don't even know what that feels like anymore.

He then let me leave the room. I went back to do the laundry. When it was all washed and put away I went to the library to read about the various dragons we could possibly run into tomorrow. I pray we all leave the field in one piece tomorrow.