Chapter 12

Azula's POV

I sat on a quilt pallet with a picnic basket beside me, watching as Balthazar taught the baby dragons how to fly. I had my new phone in my hands taking pictures and videos of them. Lui was encouraging Destroyer to flap his wings excitedly. Rí had picked it up easily and was flying around in circles making small sounds of delight. Sioc was watching Balthazar with interest. She then looked over the edge of the cliff, then backed up out of fear. Balthazar crouched down to her, and ran his hand soothingly down her back. She wagged her tail happily. He stood again and spread his wings. She followed suit just as Destroyer took a leap from the cliff, Lui face palmed as he watched Destroyer drop, for the fifth time. Balthazar sighed and went to go catch him. Balthazar came back with an eager Destroyer who wanted to take another go at trying to fly. "I'm going to tie you to the tree," Balthazar grumbled before putting him down. 

Sioc started flapping, and managed to get off of the ground. "Way to go Sioc," Lui cheered happily. Soon she was soaring happily. Destroyer was even more determined to get off of the ground now. Balthazar worked with Destroyer till he too was flying around happily. He came and laid out next to me, propped up on one of his elbows on his side while Lui was throwing a ball for the dragons to fly after and catch.

Balthazar opened the basket and rummaged through it, pulling out the various things I had packed. He held out one of the sandwiches to me and I took it. Lui came and joined us and so did the dragons. We gave them the bowls of food and they began to eat while Lui picked up a sandwich.

"Are you okay, Lui," I asked him, noticing the spark he usually has in his eyes was gone. "Mother called me this morning," He told us, looking at his sandwich. "How did that go," Balthazar asked while tensing up. "She asked me how I was, and I began telling her about all the fun I've been having with you and with Azula. She began yelling and saying some really bad things about Azula, blaming her for Deckland not wanting to mate with her anymore." Balthazar shared a quick look before looking back at him. "I didn't like what she was saying so I defended Azula, and she said if I liked Azula so much then she can be my mother, and that she wants nothing to do with me if that is what I wanted. I told her that Azula has treated me so much better than she had ever treated me. After that she disowned me." 

I could see the ripple of anger run through Balthazar. I laid a hand on his arm as I smiled softly at Lui, "I would love for you to be my son." The smile that bloomed on his face was bright as he moved and hugged me tightly. I was caught off guard for only a second before I returned his hug. I heard the click of a camera and turned to see Balthazar was holding his phone up, a small smile on his lips. 

When the sun was beginning to set we went back home. Deckland and the King were waiting for us inside our home, Mokoto apologizing silently with his eyes. I gave him a soft smile and a nod and he went back to his room. "Father," Balthazar greeted with a nod, ignoring his brother's presence. "I need you and your legion to go south. Rebels have torn up several of the cities, and Lords have gone missing," The king informed us. "Azula and Lui can reside in the castle until you return." I wanted to protest, but I kept my mouth shut. 

"Azula and Lui will be accompanying me," Balthazar told him, shocking me. "Azula has tracking skills that will be highly useful in locating the Lords. Lui can use this as a learning experience." "A war camp is not the place for a woman," the King argued. "Especially one who will one day be Queen." "But I think that is exactly where a woman who will one day be Queen should be when the opportunity presents itself," Balthazar argued back. "It will allow her to know about what is going on in her lands instead of reading it over a text or email. It's best she get first hand experience." They have a stare down before the King turned to me. "I will make this your choice. The cleanliness and comfort of the castle or the dirt and grime of a war camp," He told me. "Lui and I will be going with Balthazar," I told him. I saw a flash of anger in Deckland's eyes but I didn't pay it any attention. 

The King seemed a little surprise but the only sign he had shown was a slight raise of his eyebrows, but that was it. He nodded, "So be it." He turned to Balthazar, "Keep me updated with your progress." Balthazar nodded, "We will prepare tonight and leave at first light tomorrow." The King nodded before he and Deckland departed. Balthazar sighed, "I will be in my office to contact my legion." He left Lui and I in the living room. I took the basket into the kitchen to clean out. 

"Why didn't you want to go to the castle," Lui asked me curiously. "It's so cool and large." "I do not trust your Uncle," I confessed to him. It was one of many reasons, but he didn't need to know all of them. Lui soon went to bed since we had an early morning. I was in the room, looking through my clothes when Balthazar came in. "I wouldn't have resented you had you gone to the castle," Balthazar told me as he sat on the bed. "You told me to not suppress my instincts. I am well trained in combat, so I would be able to assist you in case battle was to happen," I told him. "Plus I knew your mind would have been split between worrying about me being in the same area as your brother and the task at hand." I folded the shirt in my hands, "And I didn't like the idea of being separated from you and Lui." 

I could feel his eyes on me so I turned my head to meet his gaze. "I too, can't stand the thought of being separated," He told me. I felt my cheeks warm and I looked down at the clothes I was folding. "How long do you expect us to be at the camp," I asked him. "I pray it is no less than two months," He said as he stood to go to his own dresser. I nodded and began to make a mental check list. "It will take us all day to get there, and be sure to pack for cold temperatures, usually the south is covered in snow and ice this time of year," He told me. "I think it best we leave the dragons here with Hansen." Poor Mokoto, thought softly. Sioc was well tempered, but the other two were quite the handful. Especially Destroyer.  It made sense though. Tents were flammable, and soon they would be able to breathe fire. 

I packed my bag and placed it by the door before grabbing some clothes and going into the bathroom for a shower. I had just adjusted the temperature of the water when Balthazar came in shirtless. My eyes traveled over his torso, admiring the tattoos on the right side of his body. He pulled me to him, and I looked into his eyes. The lust in his eyes had me biting my lip. 

"If we didn't have to wake up so early in the morning, then I would make sure you didn't leave the bed for a day or so," He told me, his voice even deeper and husky. I knew it was more than talk. He has proven time and time again that he had the stamina to keep me there, and it surprised me when I learned that I did too. He kissed me deeply and thoughts of taking a shower were completely forgotten. When he pulled away he rested his forehead against mine. "We could always knock out two birds with one stone," I suggested softly my eyes glancing towards the shower before looking back at him. He chuckled, "You have a point." He scooped me up, my legs going around his waist. He used his magic to rid us of our clothes before stepping under the spray, his lips on mine. He kept me pinned to the wall of the shower, pleasuring me until the water started to turn cold and he had to quickly wash us both since I didn't have the strength to stand on my shaking legs. He carried me to the bed and laid with me tucked into his side, his arm and wing covering me. I fell asleep as he whispered something, but I was too tired to try and catch it.