Chapter V

song ~ ツ Big Softy - Middle Kids ツ

Chapter V

"What made you dye half your hair pink?" Imogen asked randomly, her and Maeve sitting cross legged on the bench of one of the science labs, already having discussed their drearily uneventful weekends.

Otis was busy with their first proper round of clinic appointments, money seemingly the only reason Imogen would ever consider coming to school this early. "I streaked it with highlighter one day when I was bored, Groff didn't like it, so that night after school I made it permanent." Maeve answered honestly with a small smile, Imogen chuckling at the story.

Since the party the two of them seemed to be able to hold a conversation now without Maeve calling Imogen some form of insult or being cold and rude, well most times. It still gave Imogen a strange feeling sometimes to be around her, but it was fading as she got to know the girl better.

"What made you think buying that was a good idea?" Maeve asked with a small smirk, nodding to the oversized grey knit jumper adorning Imogens top half. "Because it's comfortable, warm, cosy and I like it!" The younger girl defended the beloved article of clothing. "You look like a grandad." Maeve continued, smirk growing larger as Imogen flipped her off.

"So you're telling me you live in England and you don't own a baggy grey jumper? Its like a national staple of clothing." Imogen accused, crossing her arms over her chest. "I do, mines just not ugly." Maeve winked, shrugging off her leather jacket and placing it in her lap. "And just when I was beginning to think you maybe had a heart and weren't a total wanker." Imogen sighed dramatically, the older girl kicking her halfheartedly with her foot as the bell rang indicating they were to head to their first class.

"I should go find Otis, see if any of the clients paid him or if I need to chase them up." Imogen jumped off the desk, stretching tiredly. Maeve's eyes couldn't help but drop down towards the small sliver of skin that flashed when she did so, but realising what was happening she immediately reverted her eyes, weirded out by what she'd just done.

"Oh before you go, I need to ask a favour." The girl stated, Imogen nodding in response as she shrugged her backpack on. "Got any plans this afternoon?" Maeve followed up, slinging her bag onto her shoulder. "Oh yeah loads. With the four friends I have here, one of which I'm related to, I'm smashed busy." Imogen nodded sarcastically, Maeve rolling her eyes in response.

"Funny. I need you to meet me somewhere after school at 6:30, if you're free?" Maeve asked hesitantly, playing with the zipper on her bag nervously at what was to come this afternoon. "Yeah should be fine." Imogen agreed with a smile, Maeve letting out a small inaudible sigh of relief. "Whereabouts?"

"Cool I'll text you the address later, thank you." Maeve ignored the last question as they left the science lab and entered the hallway, bustling with students. "But you don't have my number?" Imogen called with a confused frown as Maeve waved her off, already speeding off away up the hallway.

"I'll get it off Aimee, see you later snowflake!" And just like that she'd disappeared off down the  hallway, Imogen shrugging and heading for her next class, not giving the matter too much thought, it was probably a clinic thing.

***

439 Trently Ave.

Imogen frowned as she looked up at the building before her, having used google maps to make her way there from the bus stop. There was no real identifying signs or anything indicating what was actually inside the building. Checking the time Imogen knew she was five minutes early, but decided to make her way in regardless.