31

***
Pay attention, I hope that you listen

'Cause I let my guard down

Right now, I'm completely defenseless
***

Maya hears a knock on her apartment door. She gets up from her seat to answer the door. The door opens and reveals someone she did not expect to see so soon.

"Hello," Maya says awkwardly. Timothée nibbles on his bottom lip. Maya motions for him to enter the apartment and he nods his head before walking in.

They both stand staring at each ofher. Neither Maya or Timothée have made any efforts to walk away from the door. Maya takes note in the fact that he's waiting for her to make the first move.

The second Maya begins to walk forward so does Timothée. He bumps into her. "I'm sorry," He whispers. This time they both take the first step forward and they bump into each other.

Maya's cheeks turn red and she looks down at the floor before speeding off towards the living room.

It's not hard for Maya to notice that the only reason that he was standing inside her apartment right now was because of the kiss.

The kiss that she initiated and now regrets. She sits down onto the couch and Timothée follows her actions without saying a word. He sits down and fiddles with his fingers.

Maya stares at him unable to form any words.

"Okay, this needs to stop." Maya breaks the silence.

"I like what you did with the place. The new pillows compliment the couches." He touches the grey pillows.

Maya runs her hand down her face and through her hair. "Do you regret it. You know, kissing me?" He flinches as his words.

"Y - no, I don't know." Maya sighs. Timothée's face drops.

"I'm scared," She looks down at her hands that are folded in her lap. Timothée slowly reaches over and grabs her hands. He places his hand over her's.

"You don't need to force yourself to tell me anything if you're not comfortable." He searches her face for her reaction.

She nods her head before looking up at his face. Maya's mind is a war zone right now, she can't figure out why it's hard to speak. She has so much to say but nothing is coming out.

She wants to tell Timothée everything, he's managed to break her walls down. But for some unknown reason he can't find himself through the rubble.

"For as long as I can remember I've had a hard time with accepting new people in. It means that you have something to lose and it gives room for people to mess up." Maya slowly explains.

"I'm just so tired of losing everyone." Sadness clouds her features. This is something thats new to her, it's been years since she's allowed herself to let anyone in.

After her sister and him. Its been hard adjusting to it.

"Look at me, Im not going anywhere." Timothée cups her face with both of his hands. "I know and that's what I'm scared of. What if I do something wrong again." Maya frantically says.

By now there are tears streaming down her cheeks. Timothée wipes her eyes with the pads of his thumbs. She leans into his hands, it's refreshing to have to someone else but Alex comfort her.

She's been nothing but a burden to Alex the last 5 years. Although Alex disagrees, she feels guilty. Which puts another thing on her list of horrible thimgs that shes done.