Taeyong X Ten

— HAPPY WITHOUT ME —

He stares at the picture in front of him. The guy's smile is evident. A smile he hasn't seen for a long time. It's been a long time since he's even seen him, come to think of it.

Five months ago, Taeyong and Ten broke away from each other. It's for the best, Taeyong knows that, but he still can't help but feel jealous. Jealous of Ten's sudden happiness.

He sighs at the photo, saddened by the look on his face. Part of him wishes he could make Ten that happy, but he knows that they're better apart. They simply just don't work.

Although, Taeyong can't get him out of his head. Everywhere he goes, he sees him. Everything reminds him of Ten, as much as he hates it. He wants to forget about Ten, but he can't.

He tried to be friends again with Ten, which he seemed almost too happy to accept. However, Taeyong simply can't take it. So their conversations are kept minimal.

The only time Taeyong ever sees Ten is in the most annoying of circumstances. Like today, for example. The poor guy only wants a coffee.

Stepping through the door, Ten is the first thing he lays eyes on. His face pales and he pulls his mask far up over his face, praying that his ex doesn't recognise him.

"I'll have the usual." Taeyong mutters, shutting off his phone and shoving it into his pocket, his voice slightly muffled by the mask. He doesn't want Ten seeing his own posts up on his screen. That would spell disaster.

Ten doesn't acknowledge his presence at first, too busy laughing and chatting away with a barista Taeyong knows well. Although, the other is very happy that Ten isn't noticing him. It makes it easier for him to slip away as if he were never there.

Paying quickly, he waits impatiently for his drink. Subconsciously, he begins to tap his debit card on the counter; his anxiety climbing. The fear of his ex noticing him is too great.

Unfortunately for him, Taeyong doesn't go unnoticed. Ten finally gets round to acknowledging him and smiles, "Taeyong?"

He turns his head to look at him, flashing a forced smile. Of course, Ten can't see how fake that smile is. The mask is a saving grace for him.

"It's been a while." he beams. "How have you been?"

"I've been pretty good." he lies, thanking the woman from across the counter as he takes his drink from her. "You?"

"I'm good." he says. It takes a lot for Taeyong not to chuckle bitterly and reply with an 'I know'.

Ten continues to smile, as if their past never existed. Taeyong wishes he could move on as fast as he has. Sadly for him, that just hasn't happened.

"We should catch up some time." Ten says before Taeyong makes a rush for the exit.

The other nods and replies, "I'm sure that'd be nice."

Those words are empty. Ten and Taeyong will never 'catch up'. There's nothing to catch up about and never will be. It's too awkward for both of them now.

Ten sighs heavily as he watches him leave the cafe, before turning back to the barista, who says, "That was cold. I could've got frostbite."

He laughs a little at his comment, "Yeah...I know. He's always like that."

"I didn't know you two knew each other."

"We do...but it's complicated."

— 573 —

Monsta X fans will know where the title of this one shot came from