Prologue (2)

The salty wind in Lana's face was the only thing that kept her grounded to the moment. Lana had been struggling for a very long time. She was only 25, but she felt as though she had lived a thousand lives. Now here she was, stood on the edge of  cliff at the beach. She purposely picked a day where the weather was bad, as she didn't want to ruin a family's day at the beach. She had always been like this, suffering on the inside but not wanting to be a burden to anybody else. But it was okay now, she wasn't going to be a burden to anybody. 

She was at peace now. Knowing that she wasn't going to have to suffer anymore, it was like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. 

Lana took a couple of small steps forwards, standing with the edge of her feet dangling. The sound of the waves crashing below her were like music to her ears. She felt free. 

She jumped off and it all went black. She didn't feel anything. It was just black. But she was confused. She thought that when she died she wouldn't feel anything afterwards. But she felt like she was laying on a hard surface, she could feel the uneven surface digging into her back. She could slowly hear the sound of what sounded like horses coming closer and closer and the clicking of heels on a pavement. 

Lana was really confused. She could feel that heavy feeling returning and she didn't like it. And all of a sudden, her eyes were open. She instinctively brought her hands up to her eyes to shield them from the bright daylight. 

The surroundings were unfamiliar to Lana. She heard shouting to the left of her, quickly moving out of the way when a horse and carriage swerved dangerously near to her. She placed her hand on her heart to try and calm herself. She was wearing an unfamiliar outfit, a baby pink dress that reached just below her knees. She was ripped out of her daydream when she felt someone tug at her arm.

She quickly turned around to see an intimidating woman staring at her, expecting an answer.

"I said, are you alright love?"