Chapter 4

Tommy had returned to the house at a very late time. 

Lana had lost track of what time it was. She had been sat on the sofa for hours, staring at the table. Every now and then she would make her self a cup of tea but other than that she had just been thinking about her life. She was on her fourth cup of tea when Tommy came in quietly through the front door.

He hadn't expected Lana to be in the living room but it didn't surprise him. He looked tired. 

"What are you doing still up?" Tommy asked.

"I can't sleep." Lana replied, placing her cup of tea down on the table and leaning back into the sofa. Polly had insisted that she take Tommy's bed for the night but Lana knew that Tommy would be tired and would want his own bed to sleep in. Lana had been given the sofa, but she didn't mind, at least she wasn't on the streets with nobody to help her. 

Tommy walked further into the room. He looked like he had a lot on his mind.

"Please don't let me keep you from going to bed Tommy, it's been a long day I think everyone needs a good night's sleep." Lana said softly, a small comforting smile on her face. 

Tommy nodded, "You should get some sleep too." Tommy started to make his way to the stairs.

"I will don't worry about me." Lana said, almost in a whisper. Tommy didn't reply.

"Goodnight Thomas." 

"Goodnight Lana."

**********************************

It had only been half an hour since Lana and Thomas had said goodnight to each other. 

Lana was sat in the exact same position she had been in, staring at the table, her tea now stone cold. The only difference was now she had never ending tears streaming down her face. 

Lana had to snap herself out of it. If she remembered correctly from her memory of The Peaky Blinders, Tommy was awake now himself. Lana tried to sort her face out and make it look like she hadn't been crying but she knew that she looked a mess. Plus she didn't even notice the tears that were still falling from her eyes.

Lana made her way upstairs and knocked on Tommy's door. 

"Come in." 

Lana slowly and quietly opened the door but didn't make a move to enter the room. Tommy was laid down on his bed, facing the door, wearing his shirt and trousers still. 

He sat up when he saw the tears on Lana's face. 

"What's wrong?" Tommy asked, his voice quiet.

Lana had to take a couple of seconds to stop herself from bursting into tears in front of Tommy. Tommy could see that she was very upset. He had an internal battle with himself, on whether to go to her and try and comfort her or keep his ice cold façade up in front of her. He decided on the former.

Lana didn't know why she came to see Tommy. She felt that maybe she should be perfectly honest with him since he was helping her out so much. 

Tommy got up from his bed and slowly walked over to Lana who was still stood in the doorway of his room. He gently grabbed her hand and pulled her into his room so that he could shut the door behind her. She let him. 

"I -, I don't -." That was all Lana could get out without crying even more.

"Shh." Tommy tried to comfort her, with his hand still on her wrist he took her over to the bed and told her to lie down. She did it in a zombie like way, listening to what he told her to do.

Tommy got onto the bed after her and laid down next to her, the bed wasn't the biggest so the both of them were touching, but they didn't mind. 

Lana tried to soothe herself and stop her crying, she felt very pathetic crying to someone she knew so well but barely knew at the same time. Tommy turned to look at her and decided that he needed to comfort her. He didn't care if he looked too soft in this moment, he didn't care when he was with her. 

Tommy pulled Lana into his side, and she gladly moved further into him. He wrapped his arms around her waist as she settled her head onto his chest, being able to hear the soothing rhythm of his heartbeat. He drew circles on her back to try and get her to calm down and after around ten minutes she had completely calmed down. 

"I'm sorry." Lana said, her voice scratchy from crying.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Replied Tommy.

"You barely know me and I came to you crying my eyes out, that cant be the nicest thing to have to deal with." Lana said, trying to lighten the situation.

"If it was anyone else you'd be right."

Lana moved her head to look up at him. Their faces were very close. "Thank you." Lana said, putting a smile on her face. She brought her hand up to his face and stroked her thumb over his cheek in a comforting way. Tommy closed his eyes at the feeling, not being used to such a tender touch. 

He opened his eyes again and saw Lana looking at him, her eyebrows furrowed. "When did you last hear the shovels." Tommy looked shocked for a second before remembering that she knew almost everything about him. 

"About five minutes before you came to my door." He said, deeply sighing. 

"I'm sorry you have to go through that Tommy." Lana said, still caressing his cheek. 

"I'm used to it now, anyway, are you ready to tell me how you got here or where you came from?" Tommy said.

They were still both wrapped in each others arms. If anybody could see them now they would definitely think they were a couple.

Lana took her hand away from his face and placed both of them on his chest. She started to fiddle with one of the buttons on his shirt. 

"I suppose I need to talk about it at some point, but please could this just be kept between us for now." She said and looked up at him to look him in the eyes. Tommy looked down at her.

"I promise."