Chapter 10

Lana made her way to the Garrison, expecting Tommy to come round the corner any moment. Se hadn't wanted to get there early as she knew that Grace was in there and she did not want to have to make polite conversation with the woman. She stood in the pouring rain, hugging herself to try and get some warmth. She hadn't picked the best coat to wear and it was quickly becoming soaking wet through and making her freezing. Before she could think about the cold anymore she saw Tommy coming round the corner.

"What are you doing stood out in the cold, ey?" Tommy said coming over to her and wrapping his arms around her.

"I didn't want to go in there and talk to her." Lana said, and Tommy didn't question it. Although it seemed like Lana wasn't capable of hating anyone he could tell that she definitely hated Grace. Tommy knocked on the door for Grace to let them in.

"We're closed Mr Shelby." Grace said but made no effort to stop Tommy from coming in. Grace paled a bit when she saw Lana coming in behind Tommy, holding his hand.

"Just get us a drink." Tommy said. Lana didn't refuse, the whiskey might help to warm her up. Grace went to collect the bottle from behind the counter and placed it on the bar. Tommy took it and sat down at a table, Lana following him and sitting across from him.

"Shall I leave you alone?" Grace asked, directing the question to Tommy and not even paying attention to Lana. This annoyed Lana slightly.

"Yes, i'll lock up for you i'm sure Harry won't mind. He knows he can trust me." Lana sighed, giving Grace a slight jab as she knew Grace couldn't be trusted.

Grace nodded at this and left the room. Neither Lana or Tommy said anything until they heard the slam of the back door, and they knew that Grace had left.

"Are you okay Tommy?" It was a stupid question to ask, she knew he wasn't okay but she wasn't completely sure how to approach him.

Tommy downed the glass of whiskey he had just poured for himself and wiped his mouth. "I just put a bullet in my horse's head."

Lana shuffled closer to Tommy, placing her hand on his arm. She wasn't sure if he'd even want any comfort from her or if he even wanted her to be there.

"I can leave if you want me to." She said quietly.

Tommy shook his head straight away. "Don't be daft. Come here." Tommy held his arms open and invited Lana to sit on his lap. He didn't want her to leave. He wanted her to stay with him forever. She made it seem like everything was okay.

"I'm so sorry Tommy, I completely forgot about the fate of that horse. I'm so stupid, if only i'd remembered then you would never have got the horse from the Lees and it wouldn't be cursed." Lana said, bringing her hand to his face and stroking her thumb across his cheekbone gently.

"It's not your fault Lana, what's done is done. Plus you know I had to start the war with the Lees somehow." Lana nodded, she knew this was true.

"I know, but I could have avoided you all this pain. I should have done it myself, you shouldn't have had to do that. It's not fair." Lana said bringing Tommy into a hug.

Lana couldn't continue any further for she realised that Tommy had started to cry into her shoulder. She brought her hand to rest on the back of his head and she brought him into a proper hug.

"It's going to be okay Tommy." Lana said stroking her hand on the back of his neck as he buried his face into her coat. He lifted his head up when she said this and stared into her eyes.

Lana brought her hands up to his face and held them there. "I promise you that while I'm around, nothing bad is going to happen to you or any Shelby in Birmingham." She smiled softly.

Tommy didn't say anything, he was mesmerised by her eyes, her lips, the small blush on her cheeks and the drip of water that was running down her face from her wet hair. He loved everything about her, she was an angel in the hell on earth that was Small Heath. He leaned forward and captured her lips in his.

Lana inhaled the strong scent of smoke and whiskey that was clinging to Tommy's breath and smiled into the kiss. She had never felt so comfortable in her life. And as they pulled apart and stared into each other's eyes, she realised that there was no where else she would want to be.

She was home.