Chapter 11

Lana and Polly were sat in the living room, warming up next to the fire, whilst Fin lay on her lap. The women had been sat in silence for some time now, anticipating the return of Tommy. Lana had been afraid to be in the same room as Polly ever since she slipped up and told Polly the name of Ada's unborn child, but Polly hadn't mentioned it to her since. Lana wasn't sure if that was better or worse. Lana hadn't seen Tommy all day and she was starting to feel worried for the man. She hadn't yet become used to knowing everything that happened to the man, so she often found herself becoming confused with the time line. There was also the added anxiety that her being there was ruining everything that was going to happen and she could no longer help the Shelby family. Lana was ripped from her thoughts when she heard the front door open, and gently close. She sat up in her seat and poured Tommy a drink, as she knew he would probably want one after his busy day.

Tommy walked in, instantly taking his cap off and taking a seat next to Lana. She smiled at him, and although he didn't smile back, she could see his face relax when he looked into her eyes. He downed the shot of whiskey that was on the table and rubbed his hands over his face. Lana's eyebrows furrowed at this, and she reached out for his other hand. She grabbed it and held it in hers, not caring that Polly was in the room as she knew Polly would have found out about her and Tommy's blossoming relationship at some point. Right now there were more important matters. He pulled out a stack of money from his back pocket and placed it on the table.

"Freddie didn't want your money." Tommy said, taking his hand out of Lana's grasp and focusing himself on the conversation at hand. Lana found herself soothed by hearing Tommy's voice. She felt like she hadn't seen him in ages, when in reality it was only that morning, that even his voice was extremely soothing and calming for her. 

Tommy continued, "And now the coppers are saying if we don't turn Freddie in, they'll put Ada on the arrest warrant as well. That's where your compassion gets you, Poll. From now on we do it my way." Tommy stated, his voice leaving room for no questions, or that's what Lana thought until Polly replied.

"Or what?" Polly questioned, an authoritative look on her face. 

Tommy took a deep sigh in and shook his head. He didn't say anything else, just stood up and held his hand out for Lana to take. She didn't say anything, only nodding her head and giving a small smile to Polly on the way out. Tommy didn't say anything, only leading Lana next door to his house, and then his room. 

Lana was starting to feel uncomfortable in the silence but she didn't know how to break it. Tommy sat down on his bed, or theirs now since they shared it so much, and took off his suit jacket. He slouched in his seat and looked down. Lana did the only thing she seemed to know how to do, she looked after him. She gently grabbed the gun holster from around his shoulders and slipped it off of his arms, going to hang it on the back of the chair that was in the corner of the room. She made her way back over to Tommy, standing in front of him.

"Is there anything I can do to help Tommy?" Lana said, in a very quiet voice. He looked up at her, his ice blue eyes staring into her deep brown ones. He brought his hands around her to rest on the small of her back and brought her closer to him. He rested his head on her stomach and sighed as he felt Lana's hands make their way to the back of his head. 

"Just tell me everything will be okay? Just promise me that." He said, in a little louder voice than hers, but still talking in a whisper. 

"Tommy, as long as i'm here, I will do everything in my power to save you from the bad of this world." He nodded at her words, feeling comforted by hearing them. He gently brought Lana down to sit on his lap, sitting on him sideways. 

"What happened today?" Lana questioned. 

Tommy just shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it." 

Lana nodded her head completely understanding. She knew Tommy wasn't one to talk about his feelings much, and she had already heard a lot from him in the past weeks so she didn't want to push him. 

Tommy searched her face with his eyes, finally landing on her eyes. "What's wrong?" Tommy asked.

Lana looked away from his eyes when he said this, instead focusing on her hands, fiddling with the dress she was wearing. Tommy's eyebrows furrowed at this. Lana should have known he would know something was wrong with her, he could read her so well.

"It's nothing." Lana said, her voice getting smaller.

"It's not nothing Lana, I can tell. You know you can tell me anything." Tommy said, gently grabbing the side of her face so she would look at him. She nodded, tears already gathering in her eyes that she didn't want him to see.

She took a few deep breaths before answering, "It's getting bad again Tommy." Lana said, her voice shaky from trying not to cry. 

"What's getting bad? Hmmm? You know if you just tell me i'll be able to help." Tommy said, his hands now finding their way to hers to stop her from fiddling with her dress.

"I just...I don't feel right." Lana whispered, still looking down at her hands that were in Tommy's, trying to stop herself from crying. It wasn't working.

"I know what your family's fate is, I know what supposed to happen to you." Lana said, her breaths now becoming shaky and small tears making their way out of her eyes. Tommy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Isn't that a good thing love? You can be our very own fortune teller." He said, trying to make her smile. 

Lana ever so slightly smiled at Tommy's way of trying to cheer her up. "I just worry that me being here is going to mess everything up. I mean i've already changed a massive part of your future, what if that means something terrible is going to happen to you? or Polly? or Arthur? Or what about John? He has a family, kids that need looking after, what's going to happen to him?" Lana started to get short of breath now, starting to panic about the future of the people that she had so quickly started to call family. 

"Shush, come on Lana, listen to me." Tommy let go of his grip on her trembling hands and touched them to her face, bringing her to look at him. 

"I am going to sort everything out, because i promise you as long as i'm around nothing bad is going to happen to any of us. I promise you that." He said, making sure he was looking her in the eyes. 

"You just have to trust me." Tommy said.

"I do trust you Tommy, I always will."