Chapter 3

"You're covered in all these broken promises, from people who said they would never leave. Sometimes afraid of your own skin and the scars that run deep in your veins. Are you ready, are you ready for someone who could turn you inside out? No one dares to peel back all the layers of your skin. All this damage, you're a mess. Are you ready, are you ready because I want your damaged skin." - pillow thoughts

Lana and Thomas's heads snapped up when they heard a small knock on the small door at the side of the snug. It opened just enough so that they could hear the conversation outside happening without having to strain their ears. 

"I'm here about the job as barmaid." Tommy looked up at Lana and found her already looking at him, a relieved look on her face. Tommy stood up from his seat and looked out of the small window to see the barmaid. She looked exactly as Lana had described. Tommy took a few seconds to compose himself before shutting the small window and turning back to Lana. 

"How do you do that?" Tommy asked, whilst grabbing another cigarette and lighting it. 

"I haven't a clue myself Mr Shelby." Lana said, looking more relaxed than before as she leant back in the seat and crossed her arms over her chest. 

Tommy was quiet for a minute, smoking his cigarette and looking around the room in deep thought. 

He leant forward to put his cigarette out in the ash tray sat on the table but stayed leant forward. He pointed at Lana, "I'll tell you what, you could be a big help to me and my family. I won't ask you why you know all this stuff, i'll only ask you to stay with me and my family and work for us. And please, call me Tommy."

Lana replied instantly, "Of course i'll work for you, I've got no where else to go." 

Lana seemed to freeze and then she sighed to herself and closed her eyes, rubbing her hands over her face. "I'm afraid I wasn't quick enough to stop Arthur from getting a beating." Although Lana knew the Shelby's got into fights a lot and took a lot of beatings, she wanted to prevent them as much pain as possible.

Before Tommy could question what she meant Finn burst through the doors. "Arthur's been beaten up."

"Alright Finn, i'll be right round." Finn turned around and ran off back to the house. Tommy turned to look at Lana who was standing up and grabbing a bottle of rum off of the table. "You'll need this." She said, shoving the bottle into his hands, accidently brushing her fingers against his. 

Tommy looked into her eyes and nodded. He said in a much lower voice than before, "This stays between you and me, you only tell me what you can do and you come to me whenever you know something can help us, is that okay?" 

She nodded, maintaining eye contact.

"Okay, i'm going to hire you as my secretary so people don't question why you're on the pay roll. I'll sort you out a flat close to the betting shop and if you need anything you tell me." 

Again she nodded. "Thank you Mr Shelby." 

"Remember, call me Tommy. Now come on, sounds like Arthur needs help." 

*********************

Tommy and Lana walked into the house together to see Arthur sat on a chair at the table with Ada and Polly around him. It was quiet and Lana sensed that the energy had changed when they walked in. Tommy grabbed the cloth sat on the table and doused it in rum, applying it to Arthur's worst wounds. He then gives the bottle of rum to Arthur to drink. 

"He said Mr Churchill sent him to Birmingham." Arthur said after taking another swig of rum. 

Ada placed a bowl of boiling water on the table, and Lana not wanting to feel like no help stepped forward and grabbed another cloth that was sat on the table.  She waited to let Arthur speak.

"National interest, he said. He said there'd been a robbery." Arthur said. Lana didn't miss the sharp glare that Polly threw Tommy. Of course Lana knew what they were talking about but she had to pretend she didn't. 

"He said he wants us to help him." 

Lana heard John scoff.

"We don't help coppers."

Arthur turned to look at John, before returning his eyes to Tommy. "He knew all about or war records. He said we're patriots like him." 

Lana moved forward and gently grabbed Arthur's face to attend to his wounded face. Arthur welcomed the gentleness with a soft smile directed towards Lana, before returning to look at Tommy.

"He said he wants us to be his eyes and ears. I told him we'd have a family meeting and vote." Arthur took another swig of the drink before continuing. "Why not? We have no truck with communists. Or Fenians." Lana sighed gently. She knew exactly why they couldn't cooperate but she knew she couldn't say anything.

Polly gave Lana a look before turning to look at Tommy.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Arthur directed towards Tommy before looking at Polly. "Polly. what is wrong with him lately?" 

Polly looked at Thomas, "If I knew, I'd buy the cure from Compton's Chemists." 

Tommy grabbed his coat and gave Lana one last glance before saying "Arthur, you're broken up pretty bad." and leaving. 

Arthur tried to get up and go after him but Lana gently pushed him back in his chair and said softly "Arthur, be careful." He looked up at her and sighed, softening his features. "Sorry love." 

Lana smiled and continued working on Arthur's face, fixing him up the best she could whilst being the most comforting she could.