Chapter 3: Taken

The next battle began. If there was a word to describe it, it would be the word "chaotic". Even with Sirius's commanding, there was still trouble holding up the ranks. The enemies just kept getting stronger and tougher, but the Operators were getting exhausted. This couldn't go on forever. Sirius took a look around and asked for an update from Penguin Logistics through the communication devices.

"Exusiai! How are things holding out in the front lines?!"

"Yahoo~ Things are going fairly great! Though we seem to be experiencing more and more enemies with higher resistance. Shall we fall back?"

"Have them fall back. We need to make a retreat before its too late. Inform Texas to withdraw as well!"

"Will do! When we get back, I expect there to be an apple pie waiting for me~"

"If you don't make a quick retreat, then I'll be sure to eat it myself."

"W-wait! You're joking right?! Everyone fall back!"

With a smile while shaking his head, he closed the communications. That was one way to get Exusiai hurrying. Sadly, Exusiai might not be able to eat the pie since Sirius was feeling pretty hungry himself. He reached for it, but just as he was about to take it, there was a loud boom in the distance. Sirius suddenly had a bad feeling and left the apple pie there and ran to a tall post to see what was going on. When he climbed up the post, he looked in the distance and saw flames. That couldn't be... He quickly climbed down the post and ran in the direction of the flames, desperately hoping that the Operators made it out alive. After a running down the hill and through the tall grasses, he finally came across and opening , breathing heavily. In the distance, he saw the Operators retreating quickly to him. He sighed with relief, seeing that they were alright. 

"Hurry up everyone! It's getting dangerous!"

The Operators hurried their way towards him with the Reunion in pursuit behind them. As the Operators approached the Doctor, the Reunion forces stopped, leaving a confused expression on Exusiai's face as she ran to him.

"Huh? What are they stopping for? Its not like there's a barrier around here.."

"I know, but now is not the time to complain. Lets get out of here-"

Suddenly, a wave of heat swept across them. Sirius didn't dare to look over at the direction it came from, but instead told the Operators to run.

"Get out of here now, or we're done for!"

The Operators knew what he meant and quickly ran up the hill. Just as Sirius was about to make it up the hill, a familiar female voice spoke.

"....Halt."

Sirius froze dead in his tracks as he heard the voice, filling with dread. He slowly stopped and turned to face the one and only leader of the Reunion, Talulah. As she began to walk to him, the Operators Nearl and Amiya went in front of him to block her. With a frown, Talulah stopped in her tracks and pointed her sword at the Doctor. 

"Tell them to get out of my way or else I'll turn them into crisp this time. Not even their ashes shall remain."

As soon as she spoke those words, Nearl got into a fighting position and so did Amiya, with looks of defiance on their faces. They were ready to sacrifice their life for the Doctor so that he could get away, but unlike last time, Ace wasn't here to cause a diversion, meaning even if they did want the Doctor to run and escape, it would be extremely difficult. Knowing this, Sirius told them to back down for their sake.

"Amiya. Nearl. Stand down. I'm the one she's after. Both of you should escape now if you wish to have any chance of surviving."

Nearl turned her head to him with with disbelief on her face and Amiya remained silent, keeping an eye at Talulah. Sirius knew that both would try to fight it out, but not this time. He wouldn't let anyone else get hurt on his behalf anymore.

"Now! This is an order! Get out of here."

Nearl shook her head and Amiya stood still, still ready to fight. It seemed that they wouldn't retreat no matter what order he would give. He cast a wary look at Talulah. She seemed to be getting impatient. 

"Go. I just want a word with the Doctor. Alone preferably. And then he will be returned to you."

Talulah's words gave a sudden stop to their arguing and Nearl looked at Talulah suspiciously. It was obvious that they didn't trust her words at all. For all they knew, Sirius could be as crisp as bacon when he was returned.

"Why should we trust you? We saw you incinerate half of our forces. How can we be sure you won't crisp the Doctor as well?"

Nearl spoke with a loud  and clear voice as all the other Operators retreated, obeying Sirius's orders. Talulah gave a smug look at her and spoke.

"I'm afraid you have no choice to believe me. I could burn all of you down right this instant, so I suggest you listen to your Doctor and retreat."

Nearl clearly didn't like the choice, but had no other option. Defying Talulah would mean certain death, but on the other hand.. Trusting her this time would result in a chance of the Doctor returning alive. Putting her shield down, she gestured to Amiya. 

"Come on, Amiya, let's wait up there for his return. If he doesn't come back, we'll definitely defeat her next time."

Amiya stood where she was for a while and then let Nearl drag her along, casting a worried glance at Sirius. As she looked back to Talulah, she gave her a spiteful glare. Talulah saw this and raised an eyebrow.

"Don't worry, I'll be sure to take great care of him. Now get out of my sight like the obedient bunny you are."

Amiya clenched her fists with anger as she went up the hill with the other Operators. Sirius had a worried glance, but it couldn't be told through the mask. Hopefully, they would all get out of this alive, but only if Talulah was true to her word. Talulah turned and walked to the forest and beckoned Sirius to follow. Seeing no other choice, he followed with his heart pounding with anxiousness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes

Ta-chan: I still don't agree with any of this...
Morgan: What just happened?
Exu: All I know is that I'm getting apple pies!~
Ayame: Oh yeah, and I'm the editor. Nice to meet you all.
Ch'en: Here we go again..
Ta-chan: Warfarin. Delete this.
Warfarin: No.