one

"Noah, she's different. We've known so from the start. We can't afford to have her here, stirring up trouble, especially now."

A heavy moment of silence ensued on the other side of the door.

"I've gotten word from Rick and several others, they've heard it too. Our reputation is on the line here."

Billie's ear remained pressed to the wooden door, knowing the somber words were spoken of her. Tears gathered along her red eyes, but she never moved.

"So what do we do? Where does she go? How long is she supposed to stay away Cara? This is her home. Doesn't that mean anything to you?"

Her dad's voice wavered with sadness, like he was fighting fate itself. A tear escaped her wet lashes. She was glad he fought, but Billie was a realist. It wouldn't do any good. Especially because her mother was right.

"The company we have worked our entire life to build, from the ground up. That means something to me."

Another long bought of silence. Billie knew her dad was losing this one big time.

"You know I'm right Noah." Her voice dropped to a softer tone, sealing Billie's fate.

Cara allowed her husband a moment to process before she continued.

"I've already talked with Georgie-" "Oh, come on! you're not seriously thinking of sending her to that crazy bat?"

It was a good thing her dad had said it, or Billie would have slammed through the door herself.

Georgie!? Of all the places Cara could have whisked her away to, she picked crazy Aunt Georgie. After years of shocking stories and accounts of unstable breakdowns, Billie was appalled her mother thought so low of her to send her there.

A sigh sounded from the other side. "She says she'd be happy to take Billie in."

Noah scoffed, Billie could imagine the way he looked. Arms slightly bent at the elbows and hands resting on his knees, back stiff and upright against the chair, teeth grinding and jaw locked, his eyes looking everywhere but the source of his frustration.

She longed for her dad to keep fighting, he knew this wasn't okay. But, you couldn't win when it came to Cara.

Billie had heard enough. She ripped herself away from the oak and stumbled the whole way to her room, silent tears fading her vision and nausea spinning her head, shutting the door behind her.

Immediately, Billie began packing, throwing her belongings into a suitcase laid on the messy blue bed covers. She didn't pay attention to what went in, her mind was too busy thinking, like it always was. If they wanted her gone, she would go. No point hanging around any longer than she was wanted.

A soft knock cut through her raging thoughts, but Billie didn't speak. She just continued angrily packing.

The door opened slowly and quietly, like inside was a flighty animal. Noah peeked in, spying his daughter raiding her closet and the bag filled with creased, unfolded clothes.

He hung his head sadly. She'd heard. He was hoping to break the news to her on his own terms, yet he felt a little relieved he wouldn't have to. But she deserved an explanation.

"Billie, baby..."

She didn't speak. Her tears kept flowing, but they were angry now. She held her tongue before she lashed out and 'ruined his reputation' anymore than she already had.

Noah frowned. He didn't sit down, though there was an empty chair to his left. He didn't feel very welcome in his daughter's blue room.

"It's only temporary, Billie. Only for a little while... till you can get your head right again." He was making a conscious effort to sound calm and relaxing.

Billie froze. She clenched her hands around the edges of her azure suitcase. The light colour that usually brought her serenity did nothing to quench the rage broiling in her chest like lava.

She spoke through clenched teeth, not turning around, lest he saw her tears. She didn't want to seem weak. Like they thought she was.

"Who do you think you're kidding, dad?" Her knuckles turned white with pressure.

Electric tense silence hung heavy in the room.

"Billie, what do you mean? You know we've only ever wanted the best for you-"

Billie whipped around like lightning to face her father. She didn't care what he thought of her. Her wicked hazel eyes belittled him with their gaze.

"Don't. You. Dare. Pretend like this is for me and not for yourself. Don't you dare pretend to care."

Her shoulders were tense, back upright and her jaw locked, hesitant to say anymore. She turned back around, fists still clenched, and continued packing. Behind the cover of her back, her tears flowed freely.

"I'll leave first thing in the morning." Billie fought hard to keep her voice steady and unwavering, despite her throat starting to constrict from the crying.

Noah didn't say anything for several moments while Billie waited silently for him to leave. And when he finally did, the dam collapsed and she cried all the tears from her body until there was nothing left to cry.

Billie didn't sleep that night. She'd climbed onto the roof outside her window, digging into the box of cigarettes she kept hidden for when she was feeling especially down. As usual, they were covered in a dark shadow, but Billie had learned to ignore it most if the time. She puffed silently, staring at the bright moon overhead, a tear or two slipping away when she wasn't paying attention.

By the time the sun had risen, Billie had booked her bus ticket to Virginia, her bag was packed and she once again sat on the roof, watching the sun rise, red as blood.

An hour later, Billie left her home in Brooklyn, savouring the town she grew up in, watching it disappear through the rattling bus window.