twenty two

"Have you ever been to the moon?"

There was a moment of confused silence from the other side of the hard cast iron door. "The moon? No." Damon's voice was quiet and Billie had been straining to hear him for the past hour but she didn't let it hinder a thing. His condition deteriorated by the minute so Billie had been taking the conversation mostly into her own hands to fill up the time for him.

She scoffed in disbelief. "A hundred and whatever years on Earth and you've never been to the moon? What is wrong with you man?" She raised her eyebrows, marvelling at the fact before she sipped at her bourbon. Damon laughed small, but it soon turned into a hacking cough that made Billie cringe at the sound, reminded of why they were in this situation.

Harper hummed quietly, pulling out her phone and playing some soft music for them. She giggled softly to herself as she chose a tune. Space Oddity by David Bowie. Her dad used to love this song, it drove Cara insane when he got Billie hooked on it too. Damon smiled to himself, thinking back on the time he'd met the artist. He always liked the seventies, punk rock and wild streets of New York, some of his finer days, although Elena would disagree.

The music filled the silence for a while as both sipped on their drinks, a thousand things running through their heads. Billie would be hard pressed to admit it out loud, but she was terrified. Klaus never died like he was supposed to, she should be expecting him to show up at the front doorstep any minute now to sweep her away. Where was he? Would she get to say goodbye to Georgie? What about her parents? Billie wouldn't be able to live with herself if she died on bad terms with the people that raised her.

"What's on your mind?" Damon broke the silence with his raspy voice, the cool tones of music drifting through the air opening up the floor for them to really talk. Billie shook her head softly.

"Aside from the fact that you're probably going to die?" She stopped, already knowing the look he was giving her through the door. The girl sighed heavily and pushed her back against the hard brick wall of the Salvatore's basement.

"I..." She thought about it for a moment. Billie didn't have the heart in her to lie anymore and if she was going to open up to anyone it might as well be Damon. "I feel like I'm watching my life from the outside. Everything's just... going to shit, and there's nothing I can do about it."

Billie pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged them lightly, her bourbon resting in her hands. She was helpless to the tears of frustration and sadness that ran down her cheeks. Damon had pulled himself to sit against the wall, ears listening intently and nose picking up on the salty sent of tears. "Klaus is gonna show up anytime soon to whisk me away and I can't do shit but watch it happen or-" The alcohol and anger pushed her to spill her thoughts but Billie stopped herself short.

Damon sat silently for a moment, he figured someone had let her in on Klaus' message. He thought about the rest of her sentence for a couple of seconds before he stumbled into realisation. "Who did he threaten?"

Billie pressed the cold glass against her warm forehead and closed her eyes as she spoke. "Georgie... and Alex." She was quiet for a moment before she snapped out of it, straightening her back and wiping her tears, sniffing as softly as she could.

Harper shook her head, going back to her time consuming questions. "Were you on good terms with your parents?" She chugged the last of the amber liquid in her glass, filling it up again when it emptied.

The vampire frowned at her sudden change of topic before molding back into her curiosity. "My dad... kinda... killed me and Stefan. So I'm gonna say no." He shrugged his face, feeling satisfied with his answer.