sixteen

The stake soared through the air towards the vampire but it was nowhere near fast enough. The commonly peaceful brunette simply snatched it out of the air and threw it back at the werewolf that wanted him dead. Another one down. But there were still way too many. A whole pack of them.

While he dealt with another one wielding wooden bullets, an unseen wolf stabbed a wooden stake right into his back and the vampire collapsed to the ground, groaning in agony. It was just out of his reach, just beside his left shoulder blade, splinters painfully scraping against his heart with every haggard breath. He looked around the forest clearing, hoping his brother was fairing better

Damon tore the throat off of a wolf, discarding his body on the muddy floor but a hose of vervain water was splashed at his face before he could blink, the man raising a wooden stake over his head, aiming right for the vampire's heart.

He brought it down, eager to relish in his victory, but moments before the wood pierced his skin, the werewolf lost his grip on his weapon and it slipped from his fingers as he reached both hands up to clutch his head in pain.

Damon regarded his enemy with confusion as his skin healed from the burns left behind by the water diluted in his least favourite herb. His brother finally managed to pry the stake from his back and stood to peer around the area with a frown on his face.

Jules, who stood behind Caroline, holding the weakened vampire against the side of their trailer spied her pack members in pain before also falling to suffer their same predicament.

The whole pack was slowly sinking to their knees, hands cupping their heads like their brains were dancing an Irish jig around their skulls. Their pained groans filled the clearing before eventually the last one collapsed, unconscious to the ground.

A man emerged at the edge of the clearing, chanting quietly under his breath with both arms up, hands spread out and palms face down, incapacitating the pack with only his mind. The vampires stood, looking around in confusion at their fallen enemies and at the warlock who had just saved their lives. Dr. Martin lowered his arms, calmly looking each of them in the eyes with benevolence.

"Elijah made a promise to Elena. I'm here to see it's upheld." Dr. Martin looked meaningfully at the group. "Billie should be returned to her home by night's end."

The vampires glanced at each other worriedly and Stefan was the first to step forward and voice his thoughts. "Wha-what do you mean? Where's Billie?"

Dr. Martin frowned at them, thinking they'd already known about her disappearance but nonetheless explained. "She was taken from her apartment earlier this evening by the wolves. She is being retrieved as we speak."

He cast a look at the werewolves lying in the ground, mentally gauging how long they would be out for. "You need to go. Get out of here. Now."

The vampires shared a look, wanted to stay for more information but they eventually disappeared quickly, eager to flee the scene and reluctantly placing their faith in Elijah for the night.

One lone figure emerged from the trailer. Tyler gazed in disbelief at all the fallen wolves, afraid as he looked up at the witch that he would befall the same fate, but Dr. Martin did not look to hurt him.

"When your friends awaken, give them a message."

Tyler stepped fully into the light of the waxing moon, curious of the witch's words but still intimidated of his power.

"They need to get the hell out of this town." His voice latched onto the boy in the clearing of quiet and he nodded in understanding. watching warily as the warlock turned to leave.