six

Billie was more or less filled in about the secrets of Mystic Falls by the time Bonnie had dropped her off at the apartment. Suddenly the name started making a lot more sense to her.

But when she watched her friend's blue Honda drive off into the night, the weight of the day's events started to bear down on her. Suddenly, Billie couldn't imagine living the rest of her life with the confirmed knowledge that she was so... different. A nice way of saying Billie Harper was a freak, but nonetheless, the therapist her parents forced her to see in Brooklyn would be proud of the progress.

Billie dragged her weight all the way up to the apartment on the third floor. A man was passed out in the elevator and Billie didn't want to ride up with him snoring loudly below her, so the stairs it was.

On the second flight of stairs, Billie caught sight of a teenager with a cigarette hanging between his fingers. She only nodded when his eyes landed on her and kept going. He stared at her surprised, before his face hardened, just as she'd walked past, he called up after her. "What, you're not gonna tell me to piss off?" His drawl was deep, an edge was present in his tone, but Billie could sense a weariness there too.

She shrugged while continuing her ascent. "Nah, everyone has bad days. Not my job to make it worse." Silence echoed behind her.

Once she'd reached the top landing, her hand on the exit to the stairwell, she turned, finding the guy already looking at her. "I suggest the bedroom window. Being 'butt naked' tends to keep people out." Billie smirked mischievously, surprised to see the boy in the second floor landing smirk back.

He nodded, a radiant smile on his lips that Billie guessed not a lot of people got to see. "I'll keep that in mind." Billie nodded, satisfied with her work and continued through the door.

Georgie still wasn't home and Billie guessed she wouldn't be until early morning. The work she needed to do sat dauntingly on the counter, staring back at her, but Billie couldn't even imagine studying right now after her day.

Further thoughts of being a horrible student were halted when Billie's phone started buzzing in her back pocket. She pulled it out and stared at the caller ID. Emotions barrelled through her, but none stayed long enough to make a difference. Billie hesitated answering, but once she accepted, she had the urge to throw her phone at the wall.

"... Billie, baby?" It sounded just like she remembered, even though she'd only left a little less than a week ago, it felt like years. He hadn't called, not once.

But she hadn't realised how much she'd missed him, not that she'd allowed herself time to think about it.

"... hey dad." She spoke quietly, angry at herself for being happy to hear his voice.

The line was silent for a moment.

"It's good to hear your voice B... We've missed you."

Billie didn't speak, she didn't trust the words that would come out. Noah chuckled slightly through the line.

"The house is quieter without you."

Billie picked up her bag and walked towards the rooftop outside the window of Georgie's room closing the bedroom door behind her out of habit and going out once again into the cool night. And still she didn't speak.

"How's crazy Aunt Georgie treating you? Hopefully not too bad."

Billie grit her teeth, anger boiling up in her. She put the phone on speaker while she rooted them out of her bag. "Aunt Georgie's fine, dad."

Billie held the pack of cigarettes and lighter in her hand, but she paused, grabbing her strength to ask the question that had been on her mind since she saw his name ringing.