Chapter Five

A/N: Rosalind's outfit throughout the chapter is above.

Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book, while Rosalind sits on the couch beside Klaus journaling

Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book, while Rosalind sits on the couch beside Klaus journaling. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table, her neck bleeding from puncture wounds in her neck, while they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah enters the room.

"So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?"

Klaus continues reading as he spoke to his sister. "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus."

"And what's this business?" She gestures to the dead girl on the table.

"This is a..." Rosalind gestures as though she's searching for a word. "...peace offering."

Klaus sighs. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

Elijah spoke, annoyance laced in his tone. "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth."

Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, as Elijah gestures to the girl on the table. "Not this nonsense."

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus grins.

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet," Rebekah spoke, annoyed.

Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor. "Ah, yes."

In the kitchen, Elijah finds Hayley rooting through the fridge to make herself breakfast. While Rosalind sat on top of the counter swinging her legs back and forth with a glass of blood in hand, Elijah leans in the doorway and smiles at Hayley.

"Good morning."

Hayley smiles back at him. "Hey."

Rebekah enters through the back door, dragging a trashcan behind her.

"Listen, I know I'm the only one in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it kill any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?"

Rosalind eyes the trashcan Rebekah is dragging. "Speaking of, add bleach." Rebekah stomps through the kitchen and into the living room to clean up the mess the boys left.

Elijah digs around in a cupboard while Hayley pulls ice cream out of the freezer. "You know, I do hope my siblings and Rosalind were hospitable to you in my absence."