Chapter 9

when Thorin came to, the first thing he thought of was Bilbo for he was the last person he saw before he blacked out, "The halfling."

Gandalf sighed, glad he was alright, "it's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe."

Kili and Dwalin helped THorin to his feet but he pushed them off, turning to face Bilbo, "You! What were you doing? Didn't you know you just got yourself killed? Didn't I say that you would be a burden? That you had no place amongst us?"

There was a long dreadful silence. A thousand things were running through Thorin's head. He remembered Sepha's words. Even though she had known that Bilbo had contemplated leaving, she remained strong to him... because she cared. She didn't just care about her kin... she cared about everyone.

"I have never been so wrong in my life," he sighed, drawing the hobbit in for a big hug.

There were cheers behind him and he smiled as Bilbo hugged him back. When he released him, he patted the hobbit's shoulder, "And I'm sorry I doubted you."

"no I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior. Or even a burglar."

The others chuckled at that but it was cut short when Kili's horrified voice cut out, "SEPHA!"

All eyes snapped around just in time to see the last eagle land, carrying gently in its claws, the injured girl. He set her down and cawed sadly at the sight of the unconscious girl.

Kili and Fili were at her side in an instant with Thorin, Gandalf, Dwalin, Balin and Oin next.

"Sepha pleased wake up," Fili whispered, gripping one of her hands.

Kill drew the girl's head into his lap and pushed her hair out of her face which was battered and bruised, her lip was busted and there was a small scratch on her cheek, just across the cheekbone.

"let me through," Oin instructed, Dwalin moving back for him. "let me see the lass."

Kneeling down, he felt her pulse, listened to her breathing and began to inspect her wounds, not letting anyone else get a good look at the wounds, "It's bad. We need to get to a place that has fresh water and linens. my supplies were lost in Goblin Town. I need to stitch her up or it'll open again and she'll bleed to death or die of infection. I can bandage her up but someone will have to carry her."

"We can take turns," Dwalin, Fili and Kili said all together.

"What do you need Oin?" Thorin asked, trying to bite back the worry in his tone.

"I need someone to hold her shoulders down. Kili, keep her head still. Fili, hold her hands down and Balin, would you mind pinning her knees? I have an ointment that will keep infection down but it will burn."

Everyone nodded and began to get into their positions. Kili moved so that he was looking down at Sepha's face and placed his hands on either side of her face, running his thumbs over her cheek gently. Fili gripped both of her wrists to her sides while Thorin knelt across from him, placing a hand on her shoulders and holding her down. Considering that he had to reach over to hold down both her shoulders, Thorin's face was looking down at hers and he felt his heart stop.

Even covered in blood and dirt from battle, she amazed him at how beautiful she was. She looked so peaceful lying there unconscious... but not for long. The moment Oin poured the ointment on her side, the girl let out a loud, ear piercing scream and her body tensed. the dwarves held her down and Kili pressed his forehead to hers, whispering words of comfort.

"It's okay Seph," he whispered. "We're almost done... we're almost there."

Soon, she stopped and she passed out from the pain. The dwarves all relaxed and stepped back while Oin quickly wrapped the wound with what he had. When he was done, he turned to Dwalin, "If you carry her first, try to be careful of her back. I still haven't tended to her lashes yet."