Chapter 14

'Thank goodness that horses need to be watered!' Sepha thought as she dismounted.

She loved riding and her pony was great! Unlike Kili's! However, sitting in the saddle with her legs spread apart, made it all the more uncomfortable when her bladder began to fill up from breakfast and they had been riding for hours. After getting a headache on past trips from not drinking enough, Sepha had made it a routine to drink a full skin (Which is about the size of a waterbottle) every two to three hours. However, this didn't help when you were in the saddle and couldn't empty your bladder whenever you wanted.

When she dismounted, she tied the reins of her pony on his saddle so he didn't trip and let him wander to the stream with the other ponies. She sighed and grabbing her bag, she headed to a clump of bushes that was out of sight of the dwarves. However, it wasn't as easy as that.

Before she even took a step in that direction, Nori, Ori, Dori and Bofur were upon her, asking her questions and inquiring if she would be interested in joining in a new bet. Sepha barely heard what they were saying for her head was spinning with their voices and the need to relieve herself. All she heard was something about how long it would take them to get through Mirkwood. These dwarves seriously bet on everything! Even about Bofur's cooking! Once Dori and Nori had made a bet about how many times Bombur called for a bathroom break during the first half of the trip but finding it rather disturbing, Sepha had declined.

"Uh guys... I have to go," Sepha said, cringing when she felt her bladder weaken. If she didn't go soon she would wet her pants and that would be embarrassing.

Just when she felt like she was going to burst, a deep voice cut through the four dwarves' chatter.

"Let Sepha go. Seriously, you can chatter her ear off after she has a few moments to herself." THorin remarked, stepping to pull Ori and Nori back by their hoods. "Have a little respect."

Dori and Bofur nodded their heads and ducked away, giving Sepha an apology before pulling Nori and Ori away with them, leaving THorin and Sepha alone. Thorin smiled at her which only aided in making Sepha's already flushed face go crimson.

"Sorry about that."

Sepha shook her head, "Don't worry about it. Thank you though for stepping in."

Thorin smiled, "They were going a little too far. Though I wont follow suit and keep you."

The girl smiled gratefully as the dwarf prince bowed his head to her as a sign of excusing himself and headed over to talk with Gandalf and Dwalin. Sepha quickly spun on her heel and charged away from the company. When she finished, she was walking back to the company when something flashed in her mind.

Balin had said that another sign of a dwarf showing interest in a girl would be to show signs of respect, protection and standing up for her.... which was exactly what Thorin had just done.... holy noodles!

When Sepha came back into the clearing where the dwarves were beginning to gather their ponies, Sepha felt her cheeks flame red even though THorin wasn't even looking in her direction.

"here Sepha," Fili invited, holding out the reins of her pony to the girl.

Sepha thanked him and took the reins but it was evident her mind was elsewhere and her cheeks were still a cute shade of pink. Fili smiled at the sight, having to admit that the girl was rather pretty.

"You know, if you were any younger, I would ask to court you," Fili said, mostly in a teasing tone but after what SEpha had experienced, she wasn't taking anything lightly.

She lifted her eyes in puzzlement, "Is it a dwarf custom to be the same age?"

Fili shook his head, "If you found your one, it doesn't matter. I actually know a dwarf who married a dam who was about our age difference apart and she was the older one."