Pilot I

"Cassie!!" That's what I wake up to. "Come down here!" I groan and roll out of bed. Since I don't exactly have any other clothes at the moment, I've been sleeping in my jeans, my t-shirt, and some socks I snatched from Barbara's room. I walk slowly down the stairs, struggling to keep my eyes open. It was a really bad idea to stay up reading until two a.m.

"What?" I groan as I step off the stairs. I trudge over to the counter and pour a cup of the coffee Jim had made.

"Don't take my coffee," he says. "Put your shoes on. Barbara's taking you out." I look up at him, my eyes still partially shut. "Don't give me that look! I think it's about time you had some other clothes. She's also gonna get you whatever you need for school. She's at the school asking what you'll need now." I groan and make my way over to the couch, setting my coffee down and falling over.

"Do I have to?" I ask.

"Go to school? Yes." I groan. "Come on, Cass. What kind of dad would I be if I didn't make you go to school?" I shrug, burying my face in the pillow. "I'm serious. Go get your shoes." I roll off the couch, landing on the floor with a loud thud. "And maybe don't hurt yourself while you're at it." I slowly but surely make it off the floor, grab my shoes, and come back downstairs, where Barbara is now waiting, and fall back onto the couch.

"How late did you stay up?" Barbara asks. I hold up two fingers.

"You stayed up until two?" Jim asks. I nod. "What were you doing?"

"Finishing my book," I say. "That reminds me. I need a new book to read. You got any?" Barbara chuckles.

"How about this?" she asks. "If you get up and come shopping with no complaints, I'll take you by the library on the way to the station." I look over at her.

"The station?" Jim nods.

"Yeah. You're gonna come in to work with me after you two get done." I groan.

"Three years I managed to avoid that place, and now I'm there twice in three days."

"Yes," Barbara says, "but I have to go to work too, and you'll probably be a lot less bored at the station." I shrug. "So...do we have a deal? You don't complain, you get a new book?" I think about it, then stick my hand out. She shakes it and smiles. "Okay. Get up." I look over at her. "Well, do you want breakfast or not?" She pauses. "I'll get you coffee." I roll off the couch and stand up, grabbing my leather jacket and leaving my black and gold one upstairs. We walk down stairs and outside. "So where do you wanna go?" I shrug.

"I don't know," I say. "I've never really bought food anywhere." She nods.

"Okay." She looks down at me, smiling. "I know just where to go."

~~~

"No...I'm not trying that on...no way!" These were the things I say repeatedly during my little 'shopping spree' with Barbara.

"Come on, Cassie," she says. "You have to get something." I shake my head.

"I think we've got enough." We already bought like fifteen outfits and all my school supplies. She shakes her head.

"You may not know this, but you've got to have options," she tells me. "Now, if you don't pick anything out, I'm going to pick everything out for you, and I will make a point to get everything I know you won't like." I groan and walk over to a rack. I pull off a few plaid button-ups and hand them to her. "Like that. Now keep going. I'm just following you." I sigh and walk over to the 'teen' section. I see a bunch of shelves stacked with t-shirts and look through them. I end up grabbing a bunch of merch for various bands like Metallica, Queen, Guns 'n' Roses, Def Leppard. Stuff like that.