~5~

"what do you mean she's not here?" i asked Kristin.

"she's not here Gerard. she's not in the building." Kristin stressed. it was the day of the play and our Juliet had gone missing. "you know the words don't you?"

i cleared my throat. "i uh, yea i do."

"you have to be our Juliet." she looked me dead in the eyes.

"but i'm a dude!"

"yes but the audience doesn't know that." she turned to the guy that was in charge of costumes who just happened to walk past her at the perfect time. "get him in Juliets outfit, will you?"

he looked me up and down. "sure."

Kristin sighed, out of relief i believe. "thank you. be fast though. we start in 20."

he smiled and put his hand on her shoulder. "don't stress it. we'll be ready."

she smiled and nodded. "thank you."

the dress was cute, sure, but the damn thing was super uncomfortable. i'm not surprised Juliet dropped out. i would too. he styled my hair and fixed my face up a bit. i looked like a chick. i could've been a chick if it wasn't for what was in between my legs.

-

i only remember one scene out of the entire play.

Frank pulled me to the side and danced with me.

"if i profane with my unworthiest hand. this holy shrine, the gentle fine is this,- my lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand. to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss."

i smiled. i wanted to laugh but i couldn't just break character. "good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this; for saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and," i put my hand on his. "palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss." i looked at him and smiled gently.

he smiled back. "Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?"

"Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer."

he just looked so pretty with his little costume and mask on. "O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; they pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair."

he leaned in. i giggled and dodged his attempt to lay his lips on mine. "saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake."

we slowly came to a stop. "then move not while my prayer's effect i take. thus from my lips, by thine my sin is purg'd" he leaned in again but this time i didn't move. i let his lips land on mine.

the rest of the play is a blur.

-

"you did good." frank grabbed by hand.

"you think so?" i looked down at him.

"yes, you were amazing. when i saw you without the mask, you took my breath away. you're so gorgeous. i don't know how you don't see it." he looked up at me. my cheeks were definitely red. the warmth wasnt only in my cheeks but at the tips of my ears too.

"i'm not pretty, you're just saying that." i looked down at my feet.

"no, i'm not just saying it. i don't lie Gerard. especially not to you. you're beautiful and i just wish you'd see it."

i looked over at the cars parked on the curb and i saw a drop of  water fall and land on the windshield. then a drop hit my nose. i looked up. sure enough, the sky was cloudy. it was raining. i loved the rain as a kid. i was so attracted to the way the clouds looked and the way the water felt as it soaked my clothes. it made me happy in a sad way. made me realize that i'm still alive because the water never passed through me but landed on me.

Frank slowed down. "you okay?" i looked over at him.

i sniffled. "yeah why?"

he stopped walking. "are you crying?" i brought my hand up to my cheek and wiped it. the rain
grew a bit stronger.

i chuckled. "yeah, yeah it seems like it." Frank grabbed my hand and led me into my apartment.

once we got inside, he demanded i changed into warm clothes and fuzzy socks. he also told me that if i didnt, he'd come into the room and change me himself. once i'd changed, i went out into the living room and i found him sitting on the couch with 2 cups of coffee and a bowl of popcorn.

"eating my snacks i see."

"no. i'm waiting for you to come sit with me. then i'm going to eat your snacks." i laughed and curled up next to him.

we were watching some movie he claims his friends said was good. i didn't think it was good. no, instead i fell asleep with my head on his lap and him playing with my hair.