~11~

The rain fell softly outside. it was the first rainfall of the season. Forecast said it would rain all day. I sat at the window with a lukewarm cup of coffee. 

It was early morning, too early to be up. I couldn't sleep though. i was restless. Frank was still fast asleep in my bed. I didn't want to wake him. The coffee only grew colder and the rain stronger. 

I put the mug down on the floor and walked over to the door, opening it as quietly as i could as not to wake Frank. I slipped outside and walked off the porch. I stood out in the rain and let it soak me entirely. my hair, my shirt, my pants, me. 

The sun rose gracefully just like shes done all her life. The rain slowly subsided. the feeling in my fingers had gone a while ago but now i couldn't feel my legs. i went back inside and changed.

"what time is it?" Frank tilted his head in my direction. i guess i accidentally woke him up. 

I peeled off the soaked pants and put on new ones. "little after 7. go back to sleep." 

"what about you?" he didn't bother open his eyes.

"i'm going out to the store, i'll be fast." I pulled on my boots and the only winter jacket i owned and leaned over to kiss Franks forehead.

"don't stay out too long," he shifted under the covers.

I gently closed the door behind me. "i won't Frankie. i won't."

~~

the pavement was still wet from the rain before. although the sky had cleared it was still cold. Winter was right around the corner. 

i had no reason to go to the store. i just wanted a walk. I took a left down to the park. There wouldn't be kids out. the swings were soaked, not to mention the slide. I sat down on one of the few benches and just stared. at nothing really but at everything at the same time. Someone was out walking their dog. Someone was driving to work. I saw a kid walk past me to school. 

"this isn't the store Gerard." he sat down next to me.

i sighed. "no, no its not." I didnt take my eyes off the tree not too far ahead. 

"you didn't need anything from the store did you?" Frank grabbed my hand. His fingerless gloves sitting roughly against my skin. 

"no, i didnt. i just needed air. its nice out today." I breathed deeply.

"its cold Gerard. lets go back inside, yeah?" Frank stood up and reached out his other hand.

i focused on his hand, how pink his fingertips were and how pale his hands were in contrast to the black glove. I grabbed his hand and let him lead me. "Frank. why are you outside? i thought you were sleeping."

I looked over at him. "i am Gerard, you are too. Your mind has wandered though. cmon, lets go inside." 

i looked away from him and up at the building in front of me. "i'm asleep?"

Frank stood in the doorway. "you never woke up." he gestured for me to follow him. He turned his back to me and stepped into the room, darkness engulfing him. I followed close after.

~~

i looked over at my alarm clock. 

11:46

So what was that about?

i looked over to Frank and he was still sleeping soundly.

"Frank? are you asleep?" i whispered.

i heard a long exhale come from him. "no, not anymore." he turned over to me and sat up. "why whats wrong?" he rubbed his eyes.

i combed my fingers through my hair. "i just had the weirdest dream, thats all." i got up and looked over in the laundry basket. My wet clothes sitting there undisturbed, i walked out to the living room and my mug was where i left it. "Frank, is this the first time you've woken up today?"

Frank looked at me funny. "no Gerard, you woke me and told me you were going to the store. i don't remember when you came back but i heard the door open and you came to bed." he looked me up and down. "you haven't even changed." 

i looked down at my clothes. i was still wearing my coat and socks. "now that i think about it," Frank continued, "it sounded like you were talking to someone."

"yeah i was talking to you. you were there. you found me at the park and brought me back home. was that not you?"

"Gerard i've been in bed all day. why would i lie about something like that?" Frank brushed his hair out of his eyes.

I looked at him for a second and then left in a hurry. "Where are you going?" he called after me.

"ill be back soon, dont worry." I closed the front door and ran down the porch steps. I followed my footsteps best i could. i sat back down at the bench. No one walking their dog. no kid walking to school. no one driving to work.

"Gee its cold out here, can we please just go home?" I looked over at Frank and grabbed his hand. He was wearing his fingerless gloves. 

"you feel real," i held his cheek. it was warm. "you look real."

"Gerard its me, can we please go back?" The air condensed with his words.

"yeah, sorry Frank." He kissed my cheek and helped me up.

"cmon, lets go back." 

______________
Alr idk what this is. a shitty filler i wrote at 1:30am. im listening to really nice music though so thats definitely inspired this.  

these songs specifically:

Gymnopédie No.1

Clair de Lune