fourteen

⚡️⚡️⚡️

⚡️⚡️⚡️

We landed in Dumbledore's office. It looked empty and peaceful, as I made my way towards my favourite armchair. Dumbledore sat down at his desk, while Harry started pacing back and forth, one hand shoved messily in his hair.

"There's no shame in what you're feeling Harry," he suddenly said. "The fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength."

I looked at my uncle incredulously as Harry stopped pacing. I stood up quickly and walked over to him, placing one hand on his shoulder as I noticed he began to tear up.

"My greatest strength?! You don't understand! Sirius is dead because of me! He's never coming back and it's all my fault! You can't understand," Harry yelled, as he took my hand and began to walk us out of the office.

His hand had just brushed the doorknob when Dumbledore spoke. "It was my fault Sirius died. Or rather, almost entirely my fault." I looked at Harry who stood stunned, before gripping his hand softly and leading him away from the door. We both squished back onto the armchair, waiting for Dumbledore's explanation.

"Sirius was a brave and clever man, and men with such qualities are not usually content to sit at home in hiding while they believe others to be in danger, especially family. Nevertheless, you should never have believed for an instant that there was any necessity for you to go to the Department of Mysteries tonight. If I had been open with you, Harry, you would have known a long time ago that Voldemort might try and lure you to the Department of Mysteries. That blame lies with me, and with me alone."

I squeezed Harry's hand as he let out a shaky breath, his arm falling around my waist as a tear slipped out of his eye.

"I became worried that Voldemort would become aware of the connection with you, through your scar. I was concerned that he would exploit this connection to possess you and provoke a confrontation between the three of us. Even on those rare occasions when we had contact, I thought I saw a shadow of him in your eyes," Dumbledore continued, as I ran my fingers through Harry's hair.

"After the attack on Mr. Weasley, my suspicions were only confirmed, which is why I told Severus to give you lessons in Occlumency. That's how he learned that you had been dreaming of the Department of Mysteries for months."

"He never brought it up during the lessons though," I stated suddenly. "I mean, not like I was always at the lessons or anything..." I added. Dumbledore gave me a knowing look before continuing.

"Given that he was already given access to the more trivial things in Harry's mind, for want of a better word, he thought best to just bring the information straight to me," Dumbledore explained.

"I didn't practise."

I looked down at Harry as he lifted his head, his hoarse voice cutting through our conversation.