12: How about... No.

€: MJ's POV €:
Monday, October 27th
The school day

I felt different today. I felt more alone, I guess. Rachel and Brett were together before homeroom. Carmen hasn't arrived to school yet and I hadn't found any of the guys or Ally.

I was wandering the hallways when Daniel, who, surprisingly, was walking alone, and stepped into place next to me.

"Hey MJ," he said.

"Hi." I smile slightly, being polite.

"Was the funeral not too depressing?"

"No, lots of talking though." I bite my lip.

"Good or bad?" He asks.

"Not sure." I felt distant feel the world.

"Did Harry tell you about the Halloween party?"

"Yeah, it's a costume party, right?" I remember Harry telling me about it at and I think it's pretty cool.

"Yeah. So about the party..." He looked hesitant.

"What about it?" I ask seconds before the bell rings.

Daniel pauses before saying, "Never mind, darling," He says dismissively before starting to walk away. "See you in class."

I stop, confused. Then I sprint to class.

"Take your seats, students!" I slid into my seat right when the final bell rang.

Mr.Malvis paced back and forth, then started another lecture. I remember learning most of this in eight grade but I knew if I didn't take the notes, my grade would go down like the Titanic.

••••

During lunch, I was sitting with almost all of my friends. The custodians had brought out the long tables so I sat with all of my friends. Rachel, Jacob, Ally, Sammy, Olly, Brett, even Harry, Daniel, Jordan, Carter, and some of Harry's senior friends. That was a really fun twenty five minutes.

Also, Mrs. Lasser was starting to recruit again for for forensics team. I've done that every year since seventh grade. I remember my very last tournament of middle school. I missed finals by ONE speaker point. My coach rechecked the tie and kept seeing I didn't make it my one point in impromptu. Now, in high school, things aren't too different except there's a different type of impromptu. I was glad the team was starting up again.

On the way to fifth period, Daniel stopped me. Again. "Let's hang out later."

I wanted to ask why, but I assumed it was for the deal, for becoming popular.

"Where?"

"Starbucks three streets away from the school. Three pm."

"I don't drink coffee."

"There's other stuff there."

The warning bell rang. "Fine. See you later," I say, taking off to my class.

I took my seat next to Rachel about seven seconds before the final bell rang. "With Dan?"

"Yeah." I nodded, feeling breathless.

"And?"

"We're meeting this afternoon for the plan."

"Somewhere like...?"

"Starbucks." I answered plainly.

She stared at me. "Wow. You're going to the popular charts for sure now."