Guilt

Laura's POV

I couldn't believe my ears and eyes as I learned what my children had endured, things I was completely unaware of.

When I was pregnant with Amara, I was dealing with health issues, managing my business, and taking care of our other kids. Everyone was excited about the new addition to our family. When we found out the gender, we were overjoyed. David, in particular, was thrilled about becoming the father of a little girl. He vowed to protect and cherish her. My boys were excited as well and became very protective of Amara, even guarding my belly from anyone who tried to touch it.

The Knights were also elated because they had recently welcomed Kiara into their family, and they knew that Amara and Kiara would become best friends.

But everything changed when we were invited to a party with one of David's business partners. After the party, while we were heading home, we got into an accident. David sustained only minor injuries, but my condition was far worse. Since I was nearing my due date, they had to perform an emergency C-section to save both of us. Due to complications from the delivery and the accident, I fell into a coma for six months.

Doctors informed David that I might never wake up. During those six months, David never got the chance to hold Amara. Instead, our head maid took care of her. When I finally woke up from the coma, I had completely forgotten about Amara. By then, she had already been given a name. Because of my condition, I couldn't form a bond with my daughter.

Due to my ignorance and the circumstances surrounding my coma, David and the boys began to neglect Amara. That neglect eventually turned into resentment, something we were completely unaware of. Due to the accident and complications, I couldn't have any more children, which deeply upset me.

For all these years, I treated her like a burden and failed to be there for her. I wish I could kneel before her and ask for her forgiveness and another chance, but I know that's something that will likely never happen. I have, in many ways, ruined everything.

David's POV

When Amara showed us the footage, I felt something I hadn't experienced in the past 20 years. Just due to some misunderstandings, I had inadvertently ruined the lives of my two children.

Back when Laura was pregnant with Amara, we were ecstatic at the thought of having a girl. But everything changed because of that fateful accident. I truly love Amara, my princess.

Now, I've decided that she will have everything she desires in life, and she will know only happiness—nothing more, nothing less. However, I'm uncertain if she will accept my apology. When she said she was leaving, my world seemed to shatter. She's only 17; how will she survive in this world?

She needs us. She needs her family. And she will have that.

I glanced at my sons, who were furiously talking on the phone.

"Mason, who are you talking to?"

"Dad, Amara has left the house. She's heading to the airport, and our men have lost track of her. We have to find her. She's really fragile, and she's only 17. We need to locate her."

"I know. Call all my men and send them to search for her."

Xavier chimed in, "I'll also send my men to find her."

"Why?"

"Because I love her. She's mine. And the day I find her, she'll never leave me."

"What are you saying? Have you gone mad?"

"Yes, I am mad. I've loved her from the beginning but couldn't find the courage to stop any of you from hurting her. Now that we know the truth, I'm confessing—I love her. I know she doesn't love me, but with time, she will. I'm going to marry her."

I could see the determination in his eyes for my princess, but I was afraid he might hurt her as well. When we find her, we'll have a hard time convincing her, but time has a way of healing wounds.

Xavier's POV

I'm sorry, my love. I should not have treated you like that, but the loss of my best friend took a toll on me.

Just wait until I find you. You will never leave my arms and my bed.

I will find you, baby, and then no one will ever separate us.

I will make you mine in every sense of the word, whether willingly or forcefully.