cold

The days after Frank's funeral all seemed to blend together, a messy picture of angry crying and "what if"s. Officially, Frank died after being attacked with a barbecue fork. They think it was a mugging. No one seemed to wonder why a dangerous criminal (that was capable of murder) would choose a damn barbecue fork to mug people. I was lost without my best friend - he had been there for me for as long as I could remember. To make things worse, I hadn't seen Gerard since the night it happened. He disappeared instantly after. I tried to go to his house. He wasn't there. Mikey was, however, and was completely unaware that his brother had killed a boy. I told him what happened, but Mikey refused to believe me - "Gerard's not like that!"

In a last desperate attempt to find him, I walked to the clearing in the woods. The pale moonlight illuminated the gnarly, twisted trees in a way I hadn't noticed before. They loomed over me and sneered. Even the trees were disgusted at my pitiful attempt to find him. Truth be told, I had no idea what I would even do if I did find him; part of me craved for his cold hands to stroke my hair and tell me it'll all be okay, but the vast majority of me wanted to hurt him. Like he hurt Frank. I sat with my back against the tree where I first saw Gerard standing and closed my eyes. My mind raced back to every second we spent together. On his bed, with the glow in the dark stars above our heads and his lips on mine. A single tear rolled down my cheek. A small leaf fluttered down from above me, landing on my shoulder. It was shriveled and brown. Suddenly the tears began streaming down my face. I sobbed and sobbed, seemingly unable to stop. My head spun and my fingers became numb. I missed Frank and I missed Gerard. The two people I cared about most were gone. "Please come back" I screamed into the empty clearing. The wind whistled angrily through the trees in response. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Please, come back, I need you now."

"I'm sorry."

I didn't need to open my eyes; I knew who was standing in front of me. It was the same voice I had been longing to hear for days now. "Just hold me?" I sniffed, clutching my knees to my chest. A pair of cold hands wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me close. I noticed he had on the skeleton gloves I had given him. I nuzzled my head into his chest and cried. He gently stroked my hair, saying nothing. I opened my eyes and looked up. His hazel eyes met mine. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for it to go like that. I really liked that kid." Gerard mumbled, kissing my forehead.

Disgusted, I pushed him away from me and got up abruptly. "You really liked him?" I said, "That's surprising, I didn't know we were meant to EAT people we really like." Gerard clumsily got to his feet too, confused. "I only meant-" "No, I don't care what you meant, you're going to listen to me now, got it?" I paced up and down, trying to collect my thoughts. " You killed him. You murdered my best fucking friend. And now what? You just want to come back into my life like it was nothing? You disgust me, I never want to see you again!" I screamed, dropping to my knees and sobbing. Gerard knelt next to me. He reached his hand out tentatively and rested it on my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me. "Don't touch me!" I exclaimed, pushing him back with as much force as I could muster. He fell backward and looked up at me, his eyes were puffy and red. It was then I noticed his hair was messy and unwashed, falling limply across his pale forehead. I continued, "You are evil. I can't believe I- I loved you damn it!" Gerard's expression changed. "You- love me?" He asked hopefully. I had to laugh, much to Gerard's confusion. "I thought I did. Don't get your hopes up, there's no way I could ever love a murderer like you. You are bad and dangerous and the OPPOSITE of anything good for me. You are evil, Gerard Way, and the fact you think anyone could love you is almost laughable." I noticed how his eyes had glossed over. "Please, just let me-" he sobbed, gently. "No. You don't get to explain. You get to stay the hell away from me and everyone I know, or I will fucking hurt you." I pulled a small wooden stake out of my pocket where it was previously concealed. His face twisted with fear at the sight of it. "Am I clear?" Gerard nodded slightly. I dropped it to the floor and ran, unsure of my destination. The thick woods tightened around me, and I felt as if I was suffocating. I couldn't go home, I couldn't bear talking to my parents. I would usually go to Frank in a time like this, but he's gone.

I knew where I had to go. It'd be risky, but it was my only option.

I escaped the forest and ran through the narrow alleyways and sidestreets, not stopping to breathe.  The lack of streetlights left everything painted thickly in a blue-black hue. My heart pounded in my head, deafening me. My eyes were cloudy and it seemed as if my feet carried me on their own accord. My mind was elsewhere as I continued through the pitch-black streets. I arrived at the house and hopped over the gate. Pounding on the door, I attempted to catch my breath. My ears were ringing and my sight was next to none. The door swung open, and a man stood in the doorway. "Hey, are you okay? You don't look so-"