growing old

I slung my backpack over my shoulder as I walked through the school gates. The school had raised money to create a memorial flowerbed in memory of Frank. Seeing the picture of him made my head spin, the photo was one that I had took when we went to the beach together last summer. He was holding a cone of cookies and creme ice cream in one hand, and a sea shell in the other. He was grinning widely, eyes squinted. Shaking the thoughts from my head, I collected my books from my locker. After retrieving the textbooks, I noticed a poster had been pasted to the wall behind me. Intrigued, I stepped closer. It was neon red and coated in tacky pink glitter, with big bubble letters reading "Winter Dance". I pulled it off the wall and shoved it in my bag before walking to first period.

Lunch eventually rolled around. The lessons were torturous. Both students and teachers alike were staring at me, unsure what to do. They all knew how close me and Frank were. During second period, a boy that sat next to me gave me a slip of paper with his phone number on it. He mumbled something about if I ever needed someone to talk to, yada yada. It took me by surprise, mostly because he didn't seem the type to interact with people like me. I had a reputation for being punk, however this boy had soft blonde hair that framed his face and wore cardigans that didn't quite match his outfits. His glasses were too big for his face and his Fedora looked entirely ridiculous, however on him it all seemed to work. I pocketed his phone number and nodded in gratitude, giving him a weak smile. He grinned back.
Without Frank, I didn't have anywhere to go for lunch anymore. I probably could've sat with his other friends, but they don't know me and I don't know them so I decided against the idea. I sighed and walked into the toilets, locking myself in a cubicle. I pulled out my phone and checked my social media, while I nibbled the sandwich I had hurriedly packed before I left this morning. The bread was squished from the weight of my textbooks - not that it mattered because the revolting smell of toilets put me off my food anyway. I crammed the sandwich back into my rucksack, and felt my hand brush against something itchy. Glitter clung to my fingers as I brushed against the poster I had snatched earlier this morning. I wiped my hand on my black jeans. All of a sudden, my phone chimed obnoxiously, the echos bouncing around the restroom. I fumbled with my phone and eventually silenced it.

1 new message from: Gerard :)
"Hey sugar, how's school? Thinking of you."

I smiled into my phone, before punching in a response;

"not great, im on lunch now though. come pick me up?"

He texted back saying he'd be there in five, so I rammed the rest of my things into my bag and opened the door. There were a cluster of kids older than me smoking in the corner. They glared at me as I walked to the sinks to wash my hands. Not wanting to keep him waiting, i shook off my hands and hurried to my locker. I collected what I needed and slammed the door. I could see Gerard's car waiting by the gates. I ran over and opened the passenger door, throwing my bag in the footwell and slinging myself inside. "We only have thirty minutes, what do you wanna do?" He asked, putting his hand behind my headrest as he reversed out. "I'll just skip today." I sighed. Gerard nodded silently, and turned the dial for the radio. I smiled as a Green Day song came on. I hummed along to the melody, and caught myself staring at Gerard. His black hair was limp and greasy, and his brown roots were showing. His lips were twisted into a slight frown and he was nibbling on his bottom lip. "Are you okay?" I asked, tentatively placing my hand on his knee. His eyes remained glued to the road. "Yeah, just tired I guess." His answer was unconvincing, but I decided not to push it. Gerard parked outside of his house and turned off the car, looking at me properly for the first time since he picked me up. His eyes looked dull and devoid of the mischief that usually hid there. "Please tell me what's wrong" I mumbled. "It's just- can we talk inside?" He said, opening the car door. I nodded and got out. Gerard opened the front door and we both walked upstairs and into his bedroom. I sat down on his navy bed, but he began pacing around the room. "Something's been on my mind for a while, and I don't really know how to say this without messing everything up." He said, avoiding eye contact. "Its okay, you can tell me anything" I whispered. I stood up and clasped his hands in mine, looking up to meet his hazel eyes. They were glassy and it looked as if they were about to spill over. "Its just, I'm going to live a lot longer than you are. We both know that. But- I don't know if I can do it." He said, pulling me into his chest. "Do what?" I asked gently. "Watch you die. I want to spend my life with you, but I know it's not possible. I'll have to watch you grow old without me." He sobbed, burying his head in my neck. "But what if..." I sighed. "Nevermind. Listen, I love you, Gee, but you don't have to worry about this yet. I'm nowhere near death, and trust me, I'm not going anywhere. Can we just enjoy our time together?" He nodded, and laid down on his bed. I laid next to him and he pulled me closer. I rested my head on his chest and he ran his fingers through my hair. "Gerard?" I mumbled. "What is it, sugar?" He kissed my forehead. "Its completely okay if you don't want to- I mean it might not be your thing which is totally fine and I won't be upset or anything but..." I inhaled sharply, regaining my composure, "Do you want to go to my school's winter dance with me?"
"I would love to." He smiled. "Really? Because I mean I know you're not in high school anymore and-"
"I never got to go to a high school dance. I would really love to go with you, babe. Is it formal attire?" He said warmly. "Yeah it is!" I giggled, "Just so you know, the dance is next week."

<{•.•}>

I loved the outfit I had picked for the dance. It was primarily black with icy blue accents, which sparkled under the light. Gerard was meant to arrive in five minutes, so I checked my hair one last time before walking downstairs just in time for the doorbell to ring. I opened the door and there stood gerard. His black hair was clearly washed and gelled back. Upon seeing me his eyes widened slightly. "Wow" he mumbled, biting his lip. I grinned goofily and pecked his lips gently. "Are you ready to go?" He asked, not taking his eyes off me. I nodded and we got in his car. It was a cold night, so he cranked up the heating. There were Christmas songs on the radio - except because this was Gerard they were all pop punk covers. Oh Noel by I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME played through his speakers as we drove through the dark streets, illuminated by Christmas lights. He drove slowly so we could admire the sight. The lights looked so peaceful and loving, and I couldn't help but smile. I turned to look at Gerard, who was in awe of them. His hazel eyes were wide and his mouth was slightly agape.

Gerard parked at the school and opened my door for me. He offered me his hand and helped me get out of the car. He kept holding my hand as we walked through the doors into the gymnasium where the dance was being held. Icy blue lights were strung from the ceiling, twinkling over the couples dancing to upbeat Christmas tunes. Gerard seemed more excited than I was. He lead me to the dance floor and began dancing, grinning at me goofily. "Come on!" He exclaimed, grabbing my hands and making me twirl. I began dancing too. Both Gerard and I were jumping about erratically, our smiles stretched from ear to ear.

The dance lasted a few hours, and by that point we were both exhausted. We had spent the entire night dancing wildly, not caring about my classmates opinions. Eventually, Gerard asked if I wanted to get out of there, and I nodded. The dance was fun, but it got boring pretty quickly. We both hopped in his car, both buzzing. "What do you wanna do now?" I asked, as he started the car and turned up the heating. "Do you wanna come back to
mine? You can stay over, i have some clothes you can wear" he said, grinning. "Sure!" I said, putting in a CD.

We arrived home and tumbled out of the car. "Race you to your room!" I screamed, shoving him out of the way as I ran up the stairs. "Thats it!" He growled, chasing after me and tackling me to the bed. We were both in fits of laughter. He began tickling me relentlessly, which made me scream and kick about wildly. Sick of him torturing me like this, I decided to play dirty. I put one hand behind his neck and crashed our lips together. It shocked him at first, but he melted into the kiss. That gave me the opportunity to switch our positions so I was pinning him to the bed, grinning evilly. Gerard just laughed. "What are you laughing at?" I huffed, "I got you!"
"You know I could overpower you in the time it takes you to breathe." He smirked. I raised an eyebrow, which prompted him to get again reverse our positions. He used one hand to hold both of mine above my head. He laughed. "Its not fair!" I complained, "You're disqualified because you have vampire strength."
He chuckled before using his other hand to trace my jaw. "If that'll make you feel better, sugar, that's fine with me."