1

I sighed, shouldering the heavy backpack as I made my way down the halls with Katy on my tail, chatting about her morning and how her sister had snuck into her room and painted her face with as much makeup as she could get her tiny hands on. Katy wasn't angry in the least.

"The little demon robbed me of all my shiny lip gloss!" she laughed as we approached our lockers, which were coincidentally located right beside each other.

Katy put in her locker code and opened the door, immediately bending down to rummage through her emergency makeup bag. I leaned against mine as I watched her apply her hourly dose of gloss, smacking her lips together and smiling into her compact mirror.

She put her bag back and straightened up, turning to face me. "Want me to make you the prettiest guy in school?" she asked, voice lowered to a whisper. I chuckled, closing her locker and turning towards the entrance door.

"You go ahead and go home, I have a library book I need to return," I said, pointing a finger in the opposite direction of the doors. Katy pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Okay, but call me before bed," she instructed. I nodded, earning myself a grin. Katy wrapped her arms around my neck, smacking a kiss on my cheek. People around us glanced our way and I bid them no mind as I returned her hug.

"I will," I promised. Katy pulled away, smiling widely. She gave me a wave before heading off towards the door. I watched her for a few seconds before I turned and proceeded on my way to the library to return the book.

The halls were close to being empty as I entered the library, looking around the large room. Tall bookcases occupied the space, thousands of books sorted according to genre and alphabetical order.

I slipped my book into the return slot at the unoccupied checkout counter and turned to browse the shelves of books. I was searching for a certain genre in particular, one that I was too embarrassed for anyone to find out. It was the sole purpose of me coming into the library when everyone was leaving. I didn't want someone seeing me.

The books were calling to me, my fingers itching to trace the covers as I browsed unnoticed. Eventually my fingers landed on a book that caught my interest. I grabbed it, glancing at the cover for a couple of seconds before turning it to read the description.

This is the one, I thought with a grin spreading across my face. I turned to head back to the counter, keeping my head low as I passed the library doors. Charlotte knew about my secret and was always nearby to help me, but she wasn't anywhere in sight today.

I lingered near the checkout, waiting for her eventual arrival. I checked my watch, seeing that it was still her working hour. Charlotte never missed a day of work, despite her age. She was a hard worker and loved her job. The fact that she wasn't here was enough to make me worry.

I was about to return the book to the spot I had found it in when a hand landed on my shoulder. I jumped, turning around to see who had snuck up on me. It was probably one of those jock boys, I thought.

"Hey, you shouldn't go sneaking up on-!" I stopped, staring up into blue orbs that had my mind malfunctioning. I couldn't even force out words as the man smiled, pointing towards the book I was holding to my chest.

"Werewolf romance, huh? That's a good genre," he said, making my knees turn to jelly as I awkwardly hid the book behind my back.

"Huh?" I cringed, mentally slapping myself. Think brain! Think!

The man laughed. "You don't have to be embarrassed about it. I love myself a good romance from time to time, too."

"I-Where is Miss Charlotte?" I found myself asking. The man grinned, and I couldn't help but feel envious with how white his teeth were.

"Miss Charlotte? She's such a lovely lady, isn't she?"

I nodded, glancing around us. Who was this man?

"Ah! I'm Adam Smith, nice to meet you."

I eyed the hand he thrust towards me, his wide grin never fading even when I hesitated to return the handshake. Once I did, it was as if his face became blinding with how happy he was.

"Uh... I'm Jamie." I forced a smile. This guy was too ecstatic for my taste, but at least he was friendly.

"Are you wanting to borrow that book?" he asked, gesturing towards the checkout desk. I nodded, and he beamed. "I'll get you all situated, then! Right this way, Jamie."

I stepped towards the desk as he rounded the corner. He reached for the book and I hesitantly handed it to him, watching warily as he moved it over the scan and typed something into the computer.

"You have a week and a half to return it, make sure it stays in good condition," he said, handing it back to me. I nodded, feeling my cheeks grow warm as I remembered that Charlotte wasn't around.

"Is Charlotte okay?" I finally asked.

Mr. Smith nodded. "She had a family emergency come up and had me come in for her. I was originally going to start work next week, but the school is paying me extra for this week's work," he explained.

"Oh. I hope she's okay," I murmured to myself. Mr. Smith's smile softened, indicating he had heard me.

"It's great to know that someone cares for her so much. I'll be sure to tell her you stopped by."

"Th-thanks..." I looked towards the doors. "I better get going. It was nice meeting you, Mr. Smith." I gave him a wave and headed towards the door, glancing over my shoulders to see him with a dreamy expression.

Weird, I thought as I pushed open the door. The hallways were now barren of people and I was left to my thoughts. Katy was probably at home writing in her diary about the newest drama, so I knew I couldn't go there. My parents worked until midnight, so going home didn't seem appealing. The only thing I could think to do was go to the park and think about my newest encounter.

Adam Smith...

His name made me feel fuzzy inside. I couldn't stop the blush that formed while I pictured him. He was just a bit taller than me, surpassing my five feet and six inches. His hair was a gorgeous mix of milk chocolate and sandy blond, and his eyes... God, those eyes. They were the most captivating shade of light blue.

Everything in me vibrated and I was only thinking about him. He was weird, yes. A bit over excited, yes; but he was the most handsome piece of meat I've ever had the pleasure of ogling.

Good god, I was doomed.

I smiled, holding the book close as my eagerness for tomorrow grew.

One way or another, I was going to make sure I could see him again.