3

Jamie's POV

I peeked my head around the corner, Katy pressed against my back as we watched Mr. Smith converse with Katherine Stringer, an English teacher. She was dressed in a tight white blouse and a tan pencil skirt, pantyhose and red heels. Her chestnut waves were styled to the side, cascading down the left side of her chest.

I watched with a heated glare as she slapped a manicured hand against his forearm, throwing her head back in an exaggerated attempt to laugh at something he said.

"She's totally faking it," I heard Katy whisper. "I mean, who in their right mind laughs like that?"

I chuckled, slapping a hand over my mouth as it echoed through the hall. Mr. Smith turned and Katy and I ducked behind the wall, remaining completely silent as Katherine tried in vain to catch his attention.

I glanced to Katy, flashing her a grin and she grinned back. We totally, definitely weren't spying on Mr. Smith. Nope, not at all.

Suddenly, Katy's smile dropped and was replaced with a surprised look. She forced a grin, waving to someone behind me. I turned, gulping as I saw Mr. Smith standing there, arms folded, a knee-weakening smirk gracing his handsome features.

"Hi there," he chirped. "Aren't you two supposed to be home doing teen things?"

"Teen things?" I chuckled, feigning innocence and ignorance. "Don't you think we're a bit too old to be doing teen things?"

"You're sixteen, aren't you?" he asked, brow raised.

I laughed. "Not that I remember."

"We're both eighteen," Katy answered. "But Jamie still acts like a toddler. Don't you, little guy?"

I slapped her hands away when she reached to squish my face. I frowned, feeling heat pool in my cheeks at her cooing.

"Eighteen?" I glanced at Mr. Smith, seeing a genuinely surprised look on his face. "You look young."

"He'll take that as a compliment!" Katy grabbed my arm, pulling me away. "Unfortunately, we have to get going. Don't we, Jamie?"

I glanced at Mr. Smith, flashing him the biggest smile I could. "Yep, we do! We'll see you next week!"

Mr. Smith waved, and my heart just about burst from my chest. Katy and I ran, out the school, down the streets, and to my house. We came up to the door and I opened it, the two of us laughing all the way inside.

"Jamie?"

I came to a halt, feeling a chill race down my spine. My parents were seated in the living room, legs crossed as they looked at me in expectancy.

"Hello," I managed to say, eyeing the girl sitting beside my mother on the couch. I suppressed a groan, knowing exactly what this meant. I turned to Katy to see her glaring daggers at the girl, arms crossed as she gave her her most venomous look.

"I'll see you Monday, 'kay?"

Katy met my gaze, expression softening. She gave my hands a comforting squeeze. "Call me tonight, Jamie. I mean it."

I nodded. "I will," I promised.

Katy smacked a kiss to my cheek and turned to leave. I closed the door behind her and turned to face my parents and the potential wife they had picked out for me. She was pretty, but nothing like Katy. Katy was also my friend and knew I was gay. We only pretended to be dating for this particular reason, since my parents would never suspect their son to be gay if I dated a girl.

"Jamie, this is Claire," my mother introduced.

"She's agreed to see you," my father added. I went to say something but he held his hand up, successfully silencing me. "Now, son, we know you like Katy, but Katy isn't exactly domestic material."