7

I rang the doorbell, taking a deep breath as I prepared myself for tonight's events. It's just dinner. Just. Dinner.

The door swung open and I found myself suffocating against something hard, warm, and very good smelling. I didn't even notice I had buried my nose in their chest until they chuckled, the vibrations reaching my face.

"It's a new cologne. I guess it smells good, huh?"

I pulled away, nodding as my face heated up.

"Adam, is that Jamie at the door?" Charlotte called from inside.

Adam stepped aside, welcoming me in. He closed the door behind me and proceeded to guide me to the dining room where Charlotte had just finished preparing the table.

Upon seeing me, she smiled brightly and rushed towards the two of us, pulling us into a bone-crushing hug. "My handsome two men!"

Adam cleared his throat and Charlotte pulled away, her smile never fading. I watched as he stepped to the side of the table and pulled out a chair, looking to me.

My face couldn't get any more flushed as I ducked my head, sitting on the chair he had pulled out for me.

"Thanks."

Adam grinned, sitting on the chair beside me. "You're welcome."

Charlotte dished our plates before she seated herself across from us. The steak was cooked to perfection and the homemade mashed potatoes couldn't have been better. She had scooped a side of sautéed vegetables onto my plate and then proceeded to douse my food with a homemade gravy that tasted divine.

"This is really good," I said inbetween bites, stuffing my mouth with as much food as I could. Adam chuckled, catching my attention. "What?"

He shook his head, going back to eating his food.

"Seriously, what?" I prodded after I had swallowed.

"Nothing. It's just...you're really cute."

"What?" That was not the answer I was expecting.

"When you stuff your cheeks like that, you look like a chipmunk."

Charlotte nodded. "It's true."

"Oh." I turned back to my plate, trying to hide my blushing face.

God forgive the thoughts going through my head right now.

The rest of dinner proceeded as I expected it to. We ate while we conversed, Charlotte having plenty of words to say about the students who often came into the library to do things they weren't allowed to.

When we finished our meal, Adam excused himself and Charlotte stood, asking if I could help her take the dishes into the kitchen. I happily obliged and gathered as much as I could, even going as far as to help her wash them.

"Adam's a good man, Jamie," Charlotte said as she used a towel to dry the plate I handed her after scrubbing it clean with water and soap. "He lives with me. Did you know that?"

"No, I didn't," I answered, cleaning a cup next.

"Thirty-two and still single," she whispered, giving me a playful nudge. I chuckled, rinsing the cup out and handing it to her.

"I'm sure he'll find someone," I muttered, scrubbing the next cup. Adam was handsome, smart, and very kind. Any girl or guy would be lucky to have him as a boyfriend, and blessed to have him as a husband.

I sighed, pushing the thought aside. I didn't need to go daydreaming. It was bad enough that I took every opportunity to see him, worse that I was now lying to my own parents to have dinner with him.

Mom and dad would disown me if they knew the truth...

"He likes you, you know?"

I perked up, not quite believing her claim. "Adam?"

Charlotte nodded. "He likes you, but he's afraid."

"Afraid of what?" I handed her the cup and proceeded to clean another plate. Adam was taking awfully long, and part of me was growing worried he might have gotten hurt. Talking to Charlotte was the only thing keeping me from darting through the house in search of him.

"Well...you're only eighteen. He understands that you're young, and that you still live with your parents. He's afraid that you might reject him."

I frowned. "Why would I do that?"

Charlotte shrugged, giving me a thin smile. "Because you're young. You haven't gone to college or figured out what you want to do with your life. Am I right?"

"Well, yeah..."

"Exactly." Charlotte sighed, drying the last item. She handed me the towel and I dried my hands. We walked to the living room and sat beside each other on the couch, Charlotte taking my hands in hers.

"Listen, Jamie. Adam, he's...unique. His life is different from other people's, but he's a good guy. When he came to Pleaven, he was lost. His life was without a purpose, and he lived every second pushing forward just to be done with the day. That all changed when he met you, though. He's happy with you, Jamie. So very happy. And I can tell that you feel the same."

"But-" what would my parents think? What would everyone think?

"You need to trust me, Jamie. Please, give Adam a chance."

I sighed. I really did like Adam, but wasn't this wrong? We were fourteen years apart. He was an adult and I was just getting there. If we ever did get together, there would be people to judge us no matter where we went. My parents would force me out of their lives and never let me back in.

But...was it worth it?

If Adam and I got together, would it be worth it to lose my family? To have all of Pleaven turn against me and look down upon me with disgust? To chisel my sin into concrete and turn against the life I was taught to live within the church?

Was it really worth losing everything?

Adam entering the living room pulled me from my thoughts. Charlotte smiled, standing so that Adam could have the spot beside me. She turned on the television and sat in the rocking chair, giving me a hidden smile as Adam turned to me with a grin.

"Sorry for taking so long. I got a call I needed to answer," he explained.

I shrugged, smiling back. "It's okay. Me and Charlotte enjoyed a nice conversation."

Adam's eyebrows flew up and a look of curiosity crossed his features. "Really? What was it about?"

I grinned, leaning back and turning my attention to the screen. "Nothing much."

Adam hummed, turning to watch the chefs hurry as they finished preparing the food. I glanced his way, smiling as he practically drooled over the many different dishes. It was...cute.

I diverted my gaze and continued to watch the television, sure of my answer.

Adam was worth it.

•••••

Aww! I'm shipping it so hard right now. ~^~