30

Elijah sat inbetween Daniel and Alyssa as they watched "Up", a movie Elijah couldn't tear his eyes off of as he giggled at every funny scene. A large bowl of popcorn sat in his lap, Daniel and Alyssa stealing from the bowl every few moments. Elijah didn't like Alyssa taking his popcorn, but he had no problem sharing with Daniel.

"I'm beginning to question my ability as a father," Adam whispered as we watched them from the doorway.

"Why?" I asked, never tearing my eyes off of Daniel.

"Eli seems to like Daniel more than me. How is that even possible?"

I chuckled, shaking my head as I pulled him away. We entered the kitchen and I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing on my toes to give him a kiss. Adam melted in my arms, tongue submitting to mine as I tasted the strawberries he had eaten minutes before.

"You're too hot for your own good," he said breathlessly when I pulled away to start making dinner.

I shrugged, smirking while I occupied myself by starting a pot of noodles. I added a sprinkle of salt into the pot and stirred it into the water, listening to the three laughing in the living room.

"I can't get over how strange Daniel smells," I mumbled, knowing Adam could hear me from where he sat on a stool.

"That's probably 'cause he's a bear. Wolves tend to be nervous around them naturally, since they're much stronger than us."

I set the spoon on the counter, watching as the water began to bubble. Adam was busy filing his nails like the drama queen he was, aware of my emotions through our bond.

"He's a bear, huh? I didn't know those were a thing." I hoped talking would take my mind off of the fact that my kids were watching a movie with a bear, of all things.

Adam shrugged. "He's not going to hurt them," he said with confidence, and I couldn't help but laugh at that.

"How can you be so sure?" I pressed.

Adam shrugged a second time. "Bears may be big and scary, but they aren't as aggressive as we wolves. They tend to keep to themselves and enjoy to live in solitude, but a bear who has found their mate is a whole different story."

I sighed. Adam was so clueless sometimes. "They're mates, Adam."

"Who? Alyssa and the bear?"

I shook my head. "It's Elijah. I think that's why he's been asking for pizza so much. He wants to be with him." I turned to gauge his reaction, but Adam's face remained stoic.

"So they're mates, huh? Interesting."

I huffed. "That's it? What about the issues here, Adam?!"

Adam shrugged, something he did often and it was getting on my nerves. "I don't see any issues with it. They're mates, there's nothing wrong with them wanting to be close."

"How close are you saying they'll get?" I prodded, turning the stove off once the noodles had finished cooking. I didn't this, not one bit. Daniel was my age, taller than Adam and so much stronger than he was. I didn't care that they were mates, it made me feel uncomfortable knowing that Daniel and Elijah would one day be a couple. I didn't know when, but I made a mental vow to not let them get too close until Elijah was eighteen. Daniel was going to have to wait until then.

"You know...like you and me? They're gonna mate someday, babe."

I spun around, pointing a finger at him. "Don't you dare remind me!" I snapped. Adam chuckled, blowing off his nails as he held them up to examine his work.

"It's not like he's a pedophile, Jamie. Bears would rather eat one of their arms off than do something like that. Besides, bears are very traditional. They believe in waiting for their mates to be fully matured before they think about mating."

"And that is when...?"

"When he's eighteen, so don't worry. I trust Daniel. You should, too."

I frowned, straining the noodles. I then poured them back into the pot and began working on making the alfredo sauce, Adam's words playing inside my head.

"You're an idiot," I concluded with a huff.

Adam chuckled, standing up and rounding the island. He wrapped his arms around my waist, nuzzling his face against his mark on my shoulder.

"Yeah, but I'm your idiot," he whispered, blowing hot air into my ear.

I shrugged him off, unable to contain a smile from his antics. Yes, he was an idiot inside and out, but I loved him, despite it. He was my soul, after all. Loving him came to me naturally.

I slumped, realization sinking in. Elijah loving Daniel came naturally, just as Daniel loved him despite the gap in their ages. It made me feel guilty for feeling the way I did, but I still wanted to protect Elijah. For me, protecting my pup came as naturally as their love for each other.

"Now you're getting it." Adam pecked a kiss to my head, ruffling my hair before he departed to check on the kids.

I finished making the sauce and added it to the noodles, checking the clock. Charlotte was going to be home soon, which meant it was time for me to set out the table.

It wasn't long until Charlotte arrived, smiling at how happy the kids were watching the movie. She helped me finish setting up the table and we carried the food and dishes to the dining room before I called the kids in for dinner.

Everyone piled in, finding their seats. Adam and I sat beside each other, Elijah and Daniel sitting opposite of us, Elijah across from me.. Charlotte was to my left, and Alyssa was to my right where I could help her if need be.

Dishes were served, salads as the side dish. Elijah picked through his veggies, going for the croutons and berries on top. Daniel chided him, taking his fork from him to stab a piece of lettuce. I watched with a glare as he held the lettuce to his mouth, Elijah happily taking the bite because it was Daniel making him eat his greens, not someone else.

Dinner continued on like this, Daniel making sure Elijah ate all of his salad before he finished his bowl of spaghetti. Once we had all eaten our fill, we finished watching the movie in the living room and Daniel left, but not before Elijah made sure to give him plenty of hugs.

I pulled Adam into my arms once the gremlins were in bed in their room, kissing him roughly as we fell onto our bed. Adam moaned into the kiss, his body submitting as I trailed my fingers down his chest and to the hem of his pants.

"I love the nights," he panted, breathing heavy as I discarded his clothes and pulled him down for another kiss.

"You're going to love this," I promised.

What followed was a night of intense yet quiet lovemaking, our children hopefully unaware. Heaven knows I'd die if they discovered what we did.