15

It was easy to spot Katy and Claire seated near a tree, a blanket laid out on the ground with a giant backpack on it. The two girls were deep in conversation, no doubt discussing the latest gossip.

"Hey, guys," I greeted, sitting beside Katy. She grinned, opening the backpack and handing me a wrapped sandwich. I immediately dug in, moaning at the delicious flavor of turkey and cheese.

"What a guy." Claire chuckled, retrieving a sandwich of her own. "Didn't even join into the conversation before he dug into his food."

Katy laughed. "Don't give him a hard time, Claire. Jamie loves food, and he's not ashamed to show it."

"Not ashamed," I agreed, licking my fingers. Katy and Claire laughed, digging into their own sandwiches.

The quietness was peaceful, a good change from how school had been. Teachers and students were giving me their condolences, and although I appreciated it, I hated being reminded that my mother was gone. I hated their pity.

"So... How have things been with the sexy librarian? Katy told me you were living with him now," Claire spoke up after we had all finished our meals.

I nodded, wiping my hands on a napkin Katy gave me. "It's been great," I answered truthfully. "We...get along."

Katy smirked. "Have you...?"

"I'm not obligated to answer that," I huffed, refusing to give her intimate details. But yes, we have done something.

Claire gasped. "That look... I know that look! Omg, Katy!"

I covered my ears as the banshees squealed, successfully causing me to go deaf. I'm sure Adam could hear them all the way from Charlotte's house.

"Shhh!"

They quieted, their squealing having turned to suppressed giggles as they whispered to one another, no doubt discussing mine and Adam's situation. They were always sticking their noses into other people's business.

"Are you not coming to church anymore, then?" Katy asked after they had finished their moment of fangirling.

I shrugged. "I don't really have to, so I guess not."

"I suppose it's for the better, anyways." Katy smiled softly. She knew how I felt about going to church. Although the people there were nice, they were the classic old school, small town homophobic Christian group. I just didn't feel comfortable being there.

"How long do you think you're going to live with Adam?" Claire asked,
picking at some long grass.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure," I answered honestly. "To tell you the truth, I don't want to move out. Charlotte's cooking is too good to leave behind, and being with Adam has made my life so much more enjoyable. When I'm with him, I feel...complete."

Claire grinned, a look of knowing filling her eyes. It was odd.

"You sound like you're in love," Katy said, giggling.

I shrugged. "I know, it's crazy." I had to turn away to hide my blushing face. It was crazy how fast I had fallen for Adam, even I would admit that. But... Was I really in love, or was this just a crush? I wasn't sure.

"I need to pee," I spoke up, blushing furiously as I looked for a restroom. Unfortunately, there wasn't one.

"Just go in the woods, you'll be fine," Katy said with a shrug, barely suppressing a smile that wanted to show itself.

I frowned, raising a brow. Could I really trust these two?

As if reading my thoughts, Claire broke into a fit of laughter. "Oh my god! We're not going to peek, Jamie!"

"Promise?"

Katy giggled. "We promise, Jamie. Now go and pee while it's still just the three of us."

"O-okay," I squeaked, standing up and quickly walking towards the woods. The trees made it difficult for them to see me, but I still felt uncomfortable as I struggled to go.

Once I was done, I zipped up my pants and was about to turn around when a branch snapped, small yet still loud enough for the hairs on the back of my neck to rise as I froze, gazing around the area to see what had caused the sound.

I almost screamed when my eyes landed on a bush, yellow eyes peering through the thick leaves. They stared at me, a snout barely poking out from the shrubbery.

"H-hello?" Was this a dog? I recalled one of the other students at school mentioning that their dog had run off into the woods, and they still hadn't found him. This must be him...

I took a small step towards the bush, coming to a dead halt when a low, rumbling growl emitted from the canine.

"Y-you don't have to be afraid of me, o-okay?" I held my hands out, crouching down to appear less threatening. "I'm not going to hurt you, s-see?"

Another growl came from the bush and I had to force myself not to run on the spot. My body trembled, my eyes locked within the dog's gaze. It was almost daring me to make another move.

"Are you Max, Miranda's dog?" I asked, lowering my voice so I wouldn't appear dangerous. "I-if you come out, I can take you home. W-what do you say?"

Another growl.

I was about ready to give up when Katy's voice sounded close by. "Jamie, what's taking you so long?"

"I'm over here!" I shouted, hearing the dog growl yet again.

Katy came into view, Claire close behind as they ducked under branches and swatted away bugs.

"Jesus christ, why did you walk so deep? I told you we wouldn't have pee-" Claire came to a halt, immediately grabbing Katy's wrist to pull her back. She stared at the dog's eyes, her own eyes widened with what I could only guess was fear.

"I think it's Miranda's dog, the one that ran away. I was trying to get it come out," I explained, gesturing to the bush.

Claire shook her head, eyes still wide and fixated. "Jamie, I don't think that's a dog."

I snorted. "What else could it be?"

"Trust me, Jamie. That's no dog," Claire pressed.

I turned my gaze to the dog's, its yellow eyes blinking as another rumbling growl emitted from it. The bush began to shake as branches were pushed aside, a hulking form emerging from it. The thing bared its canines, saliva and blood dripping from its massive jaws.

This was no dog.

"Jamie, run!"

I barely had the time to register Katy's words before the thing lunged at me, teeth and claws ready to inflict pain. Yet, despite every fiber in my body shouting for me to run, I couldn't move a muscle as my life flashed before my eyes.

I'm going to die.

•••••

Dun-dun-dun! \('0')/