33

Adam had nearly knocked down the front door when he came home, looking furious as he held Elijah on his hip, groceries in hand. When he had spotted the bloody rag and Alyssa lying asleep on the couch, I was afraid he was going to kick in a wall or something.

"Who did this to you?!" he demanded, managing to keep his voice low as to not wake Alyssa up. Eli wiggled in his arms, showing that he wanted down. When he was on his own two feet, he ran to his sister and checked her for wounds.

"Some people I knew from church," I answered, rather reluctantly.

"Who were they?!"

I remained silent. I couldn't tell him; I couldn't risk four people having their heads torn from their bodies. Although, that sounded like a pleasant idea.

"Goddamnit, who were they?! I want names, Jamie!"

I could see his veins pulsing, his eyes swirling with yellow and blue. It was a beautiful sight, but I couldn't let him lose his anger and seek revenge, so I did what any person in my situation would do.

I groveled.

"Please, don't kill anyone!" I begged, face planted to the floor. Silence followed and I could only assume Adam was in a state of shock.

"Daddy, that floor is dirty!" Elijah chided, patting my back.

"No it isn't, Eli! I just vacuumed." I felt rather proud of myself for doing that.

Giggles followed and quiet footsteps walked away, where I assumed was the kitchen in search for a snack. Adam remained quiet, but I could still feel his presence in front of me.

"Why are you defending them?"

The question took me by surprise. In truth, I didn't know why. I had always hated Jack and his clique, so why was I defending them now? They had hurt Alyssa. They said terrible things in front of her that was inexcusable. So why?

"I...I don't know." My voice sounded small, even to my own ears. A hand cupped my cheek and urged me to look up, so I did and stared into the blue eyes of my mate, unable to believe how beautiful they were when gold swirled within them.

"Do you have any idea how much it scared me when I smelled blood? After the attack in the woods, I kept having nightmares that she would come back. It scared me when I saw it on the side of the house. I thought she had hurt you..."

Tears trailed down his cheeks and I choked on a sob, feeling my resolve break. I hadn't known he was scared. I thought he was just angry, but apparently he had been worried something bad happened. In truth, something bad did happen, and I was too worried to see that Jack and his clique deserved all re punishment they could get. Not only had they hurt me, they also hurt Alyssa, a six-year-old. The police needed to get involved.

"I'm so, so sorry!" I cried, wrapping my arms around his neck and squishing myself as close as I could get. I wanted to feel his warmth so I could get the comfort that always came from it. I also wanted to breathe in his scent, since it always succeeded in making me feel better, happier, and safer.

"They hurt Alyssa, Jamie. We need to call the sheriff," he said, hugging me back.

I sniffled, nodding my head. "I'm so stupid. I'm sorry. I should have never defended them."

Adam chuckled, his hand caressing my hair. "You were afraid I'd go all wolf on their asses, huh?"

Heat crept into my cheeks and I nodded, refusing to respond with words. At least he knows why I acted the way I did...

Tiny feet padded into the room and a body leaned against mine, small arms winding their way around my neck. "Don't worry, daddy. We're gonna beat their butts!"

Adam and I chuckled, Eli giggling as he tried his hardest to embrace us both at the same. It made me feel happy to have them with me, my two boys. Alyssa was still asleep on the couch, but I knew she was going to be okay. She was strong; and a werewolf, too.

~<<>>~

"Can you give me their names?" Sheriff Presley asked, looking up from the notepad he was holding.

"Jack Roberts, Hannah Summers, Trisha Bell, and Cody Walters," I answered, Sheriff Presley's eyebrows raised as he wrote down their names.

"You were the one who broke Jack's nose and ribs?" he asked, looking surprised as he eyed me up and down. Yes, I was aware how small I was compared to him.

"Yes, sir. Alyssa got into a fight with Jack, and Cody pulled her off of him; but he had thrown her against the house and she hit her head. The blood is still there, if you want proof."

Sheriff Presley shook his head. "There's no need for that," he said, closing his notepad. "Jack has had many harassment charges pressed against him over the past few years. At least two people have already put restraint orders against him, and the school expelled him. I'll make sure Mr. Roberts gets what he deserves."

"Thank you, Sheriff," I said, reaching out to shake his hand. Adam wrapped his arm around me, pulling me close when we were done.

"It's my pleasure to help." Sheriff Presley grinned, tipping his hat. "You take care of your mate, Mr. Smith. He's a cutie, but he's tougher than he looks."

Adam chuckled, pressing a kiss to my temple. "I sure will, Max."

"Anyway, I better get going." Sheriff Presley began to walk to the door, but he stopped halfway and turned around. "Oh, and don't worry about foster care coming to take your pups away. I'll have my wife work her magic." He gave us a wink and departed, Elijah watching him leave from where he hid behind the couch.

"See? I told you Max would handle it," Adam said, turning to get seated on the couch. Elijah appeared from where he hid and crawled onto Adam's lap, grabbing the remote to turn the tv on.

"I never doubted you," I defended, rounding the couch to plant my butt beside him. Alyssa was asleep in her bed, Adam having assured me that it was normal for werewolves to need a lot of sleep to fully heal. It made me relieved, but I was still concerned for her.

"Dad will always protect you, daddy," Elijah said, grinning widely. "Me and Alyssa, too! No one's gonna hurt you with us around."

I chuckled, ruffling his hair. "Thanks, Eli."