MR. LOVER

"He takes care of everyone but himself

"He takes care of everyone but himself."

• • •

Rebekah walks into the family room the next morning scrunching her nose in disgust at the scene in front of her.

"So this is what you do the first time we're all back together?" She says watching her three brothers sit on the couch each reading a book. "Read together as a family vampire book club?"

"Reading edifies the mind sister." Klaus says simply, not looking away from his book. "Isn't that right Elijah?"

Gabriel rolls his eyes subtly at his brothers attempt to get under Elijahs skin.

"Yes that's quite right Niklaus." Elijah replies barely sparing his younger brother a glance.

"And what's this business?" Rebekah says waving a hand towards the dead female on the coffee table.

"That, little sister is Klaus' peace offering to Elijah." Gabriel joins the conversation, giving Klaus a pointed look. To which Klaus ignores.

"I presumed after spending so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother may be a bit peckish." Klaus says with an innocent expression, though everyone in the room knew it was anything but.

"So I explained to my little brother that forgiveness can not be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth." Elijah says waving a hand nonchalantly. "Not this nonsense."

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste. Now could I?" He says mock smiling towards Elijah.

"Yes. Yes you could've Niklaus." Gabriel says annoyed with his siblings banter. When he last left them to get some time on his own was when they all decided to go to New Orleans. After Mystic Falls he needed a break.

"Well I suppose I'll fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred year old carpet." Rebekah fumes stomping away to get cleaning supplies.

Gabriel chuckles quietly to himself at his younger sisters behavior as Elijah closes his book glancing at the blood stained carpet. "Ah, yes"

Hayley walks through the living room into the kitchen too sleepy to even pay any mind to what was going on. Elijah watches his elder brother glance in her direction before continuing his reading.

Elijah gets up walking into the kitchen to join Hayley. Klaus watches the interaction with insecurities instantly running through his head. Gabriel wouldn't take his child away from him, but Elijah would.