Introduction

My name is Joseph. Just a few months ago, if you had seen me, you would have called me the luckiest guy in the world. I had everything, a rich, businessman dad, a huge house, the latest cell phone, and even a car. I was one of the smartest guys in school; and one of the best looking (if high-school girls' opinions mean anything). There was not a girl in my senior class that would not have accepted my request of a date had I asked, and it was just the same with the girls in the younger classes. My dad really loved me. He favoured me in any way he could. He spent lots of time with me, taught me everything he knew, and always bought me new things. The only thing missing in my life was my mother; she had died a few years earlier in my little brother's emergency c-section. Even without her, though, I was surrounded by the picture-perfect life.

            The only dark spot on my perfect life were my brothers, well, my older brothers. I had seven of them. I also had a younger brother, Benjamin. Although Benjamin and I were full-blooded brothers, my other brothers and I did not share the same mother. My older brothers came from two other women—the first had died of cancer and the second had been divorced by my father when he took a fancy to my mother. Even though I knew that bothered my older brothers a lot, I tried not to let it bother me too much. What my parents did or did not do was none of my business.

            My oldest brother, Josh, was twenty-nine. He was working in my father's business as a minor manager. My other older brothers—Oliver, Ryder, Liam, William, Noah, and Johnnie—ranged from ages nineteen to twenty-eight. All six of them also worked at my father's business, but only three of them full-time. The other three were still in college. None of my brothers had a wife except Ryder, who had been married for three years. We all lived together in my father's mansion. My older brothers had to pay rent, for the sake of learning responsibility, is what my father always said. My father also said I would never have to pay rent, because when I was ready, he would hand his business and estates over to me. So, why pay for something I basically owned?

            Benjamin was the brother I was closest to, even though he was only seven at the time—exactly ten years younger than me. I was also pretty close to Ryder; he had softened towards me when he got married. This must have been because people change when they marry; or maybe it was because his wife liked me. Anyway, that was the problem. My older brothers could not stand me. It seemed that all they could do was glare at me. It did not help that Dad was easy on me. It only seemed to make them angrier. But it was not my fault, right? I could not do anything about who my Dad liked more or less. I could not control how much attention he showed to me or how many things he bought me, could I?

            I realize, now, that I could have. Even more, I realize, now, that these things should have mattered to me. But since that day a few months ago, it has been too late.