Strange Dreams

I yawned and sat up in my bed. It was Sunday morning, I needed to go to church in a few hours. Yesterday had been amazing! I had driven around in my new car for a while and then Dad, Benjamin, and I had gone out for lunch. We went to the park in the afternoon and then we ate Chinese (my favourite!) with the whole family that night. It had been the best night ever! My brothers had been quite subdued at dinner, but not much more then they usually were. It did bother me that Ryder did not say anything to me the whole night. I would have expected at least him to wish me a happy birthday. When I fell asleep, however, things got a little strange.

            I dreamed. I had only dreamt twice before in my life. Disturbingly, or miraculously, both other times I had dreamt, my dreams had come true a few days later. I thought through my dream again. It was strange. I needed to ask someone about it. I clambered out of bed and went over to the dresser to put on some clothes. I needed to go down to ask someone about it.

                                                                        **********************************************************************************************

Ryder, Josh, and Johnnie glanced up as Joseph barged into the kitchen. Josh rolled his eyes and Johnnie muttered under his breath as they all went back to their food. Joseph just stood in the doorway panting, watching them with wide eyes.

Josh glanced up at Joseph again and snickered, "Did someone steal your new car or did the maid forget to tuck you in last night?"

Johnnie scoffed under his breath, "Probably both,"

Joseph just shook his head, "No, I dreamed."

"You dreamed?" Ryder's head snapped up. Even if he was irritated at his little brother, he couldn't ignore that. His other dreams had come true, if that was any indication of importance.

Joseph nodded his head vehemently then sat down across from them. "It was sooo weird."

Even though Johnnie was watching him with intense interest, his sarcasm could not be hidden as he said, "No kidding," and rolled his eyes.

Joseph just continued to gaze at absolutely nothing in what must have been surprise.

"Well, are you going to tell us what happened in your dream or not?" Josh asked with seeming disinterest.

Joseph shook his head again. "It was different than the other dreams. The others were so literal. This one was so... well... strange."

Johnnie rolled his eyes with impatience, "Get on with it!"

Joseph nodded, "Alright. So, I was in my new car, dressed in a grey suit. I looked older, but I knew I was the same age as I am now. I drove down the highway and stopped outside of a huge building that I have never seen. Then I just walked in like I owned the place," he paused, "when I entered, six of you were in there before me—"

Josh cut him off, "Finally, we are ahead of you in something," he snickered.

Joseph just continued, "The only one not there was, you, Josh,"

Josh just shut up and rolled his eyes.

"Benjamin also was not there. You were all dressed in rags. Like, rags from the Middle Ages. And you also all had army guns hung on your backs. When I entered the room, you all turned to me, and just stared at me like I was a celebrity or something. Then you took your guns off your backs and saluted me."

Joseph looked off into the distance thoughtfully for a few seconds before looking over at his brothers. The three of them just stared at him with open mouths.

"What do you think it means?" Joseph asked.

"What it means!?" Johnnie hit his hand on the table. "It means nothing! How dare you try to elevate yourself above us even more than you already are!" he seethed.

Josh was glaring at me, "Did you even dream that? Or are you just making it up to rub in our faces how much dad loves you?!"

"No, of course not!" Joseph exclaimed, looking over at Ryder for help. "I dreamt it!"

Ryder rolled his eyes, "and you had to tell us, Joseph? I thought you were old enough to understand now...." He trailed off.

Joseph's face filled with puzzlement and confusion, "Understand what?"

Ryder just looked at him blankly, "Look, Joseph, if you want us to listen to you, don't talk any more nonsense like this, okay? Listen to me, brother to brother. Don't make up silly stories."

Joseph watched him, surprised, "but I didn't ma—"

"Joseph, stop with this nonsense. Now." Ryder proceeded to get up, put his plate in the sink and leave the room without even glancing at Joseph again. Joseph just gazed out the empty door. Ryder had not done that to him in many years. The other two got up and left the same way, leaving Joseph in the room alone.

"What did I do?" he muttered to himself, and went to eat breakfast so that he could get to church on time.