Of Simulations and Check-Ups

I glanced up from the computer after finishing the final simulation that I had been assigned. This one had been based on naval battle, including ships, some land forces, and two jets. I had needed to defeat the enemy, who outnumbered me by almost double, within three simulated days.

I sighed, then did my best to hide a chuckle as I looked around me. The commander was sitting at his desk looking at some maps and periodically writing notes on his iPad. There were two other soldiers in the room. One was standing guard near the door, but his slumped shoulders and barely perceptible sighs indicated he was bored. I smirked to myself as I glanced over at the other. He was sitting on the floor in the corner, a bunch of books and papers scattered around him. He was holding one book, however, which he was intently reading. I squinted, trying to see the title. It looked like a strategy book, but I could not quite see which it was. Probably the one I had just recently finished about agnostic war.

I was not sure what I should do now. The simulations I had just completed had been meant to take the whole day. But I had finished them within two hours. Not to mention that I had passed them with flying colors; the naval simulation had been programmed to be beaten within three simulated days but I beat it within one and a half. I glanced up at the commander again. I should probably tell him, but I was getting a little bit embarrassed at my abnormal speeds.

I cleared my throat and the commander looked up before I could say anything, "Need something, Alexander?"

The guard at the door turned curiously towards me, relieved to have something break the monotony of his standing watch and smirked at me when he saw the words, "Third Mission Accomplished" written across my screen.

I cleared my throat awkwardly, "I, uh, I finished."

The commander took his glasses off as the corner of his mouth quirked up in question, "The first one? That one was a simulation of guerrilla war, correct? That was fast." He paused at the red that was rising up my cheeks, "That was fast. There's no need to be embarrassed at the praise. You are extremely smart. But if it helps, most people finish that one in about three hours. So you were only one hour faster. How did you do?"

By the time he finished talking, I was pretty sure my face was as red as a tomato. I fidgeted. It did not help that the door guard, his name was Steve, I think, was now facing away from us, trying his best to hide the fact that he was laughing hysterically under his breath.

The commander looked up at him, "Private Steve."

Steve turned slowly towards the commander, trying to get his face straight, "Yes, sir?"

"Pray tell me why you are laughing when you should be standing guard." The kind look the commander had been giving me had changed to a serious and disciplinary look. The other young soldier looked up for the first time in the conversation. He rolled his eyes at being distracted from his reading.

Steve cleared his throat. The commander was honestly quite scary if you were not one of his favorites. Well, I guess that means if you were not me. I seemed to be the only one who he would soften with. "Yes, sir. I-- I mean," he flushed nervously, "It was because I saw--" he cleared his throat, "I mean, I--"

"He saw my computer screen." I finished for him. I felt bad because his discomfort was technically my fault.

Steve gave me a relieved look and the commander raised his eyebrows as he glanced between the two of us. He looked back at Steve, "And you were laughing because...?"

I did not leave any time for Steve to answer this time, "Because I finished all three simulations, Commander. Not just the first one."

The commander's gaze snapped back onto me as an almost-awestruck expression crossed his face before it became quite serious again, "All three?" he half-choked.

I merely nodded, the red rising in my cheeks again.

"Well, that's," he paused, "something."

Steve turned away again, desperately trying to hold in more laughter before he really got in trouble.

I just sat there, unsure of what to do. I glanced over at the soldier on the floor, and nearly muttered to myself when I still could not make out the title of the book, which he had resumed reading. I continued staring at it until the commander addressed me again.

"Well then. I suppose now would be the time I tell you that those were your last tests."

What? I swallowed, "What do you mean, sir?"

"Those were your last strategic tests before your official promotion to the job."

"That fast?" I asked. In my shock, it took about two full seconds before I realized I had spoken out of turn.

The commander merely smiled slightly. "Yes. Now all that needs done is another physical check-up. Even though that is normal procedure, I'm fairly sure I have noticed a struggle to see sometimes, am I correct?"

I nodded dumbly. I had noticed the inability to see far distances a few weeks before my training started, but I had assumed it was because of fatigue or something of the like.

"So tomorrow you will move out of your barracks to a small room near mine and the office. You will have a small room to call your own as well, near mine and the sergeants'. You had been told that you would be moving bases, but we decided that at least for now you would stay here. Starting tomorrow, you will also have a small rotor of guards specifically for you and your office. I have some people in mind, but, if you prefer to choose yourself, you may."

I nodded, my mind no longer focused on my shock. I could have Jonathan and Owyn near me! Without even having to ask! Thank you, Lord! I smiled. Why not take Steve too? He seemed like he could use something more fun to do. "I would like to choose, Commander."

He smiled back, "Good." He nodded then grabbed the phone off of his text. He punched some numbers in and put the phone up to his ear, "I am calling the medical secretary now, so you should be able to have the check up within half an hour. In the meantime, you may look through the list of soldiers and their abilities, or if you already have people in mind, you may write them on a paper--"

I heard the secretary chattering on the other end of the line just one second before he stopped talking to me. He grabbed a pen and paper off his desk and indicated that I should come and get them as he listened to her.

It took me about thirty seconds to write who I wanted: Jonathan, Owyn, Steve, and another solider named Ethan who stayed in the same barracks as Jonathan, Owyn, and I. The commander nodded and grabbed the paper absently as he continued talking on the phone.

I sat back down, expecting the call to continue for a few more minutes. But it did not. The commander got off the phone almost immediately. "They are ready for you now."

I raised my eyebrows as I got back out of my chair. That was quick, "Yes, sir."

"You need to get there quickly. Their next appointment is in forty minutes, and they are full for the rest of the day."

"Yes, sir." I nodded and turned towards the door.

"Come back here when you are done," the commander finished.

I turned and saluted, as was protocol, but he chuckled, "You needn't be so formal here, Alexander. You are now my right-hand-man."

I nodded, eyes wide, but with a small grin on my face as I turned back towards the door to walk to the medical buildings across the base. A sudden joy welled up in me. This is where I was meant to be--making a difference. God had brought me to this position, and I would do my best. And it was going to be fun; I was sure of it.