My Friends Predicted This?

They both stood there, gaping, until Jonathan started laughing under his breath. This shook Owyn out of his daze and soon they were both laughing so hard they could not have stopped even if their lives depended on it.

Owyn gasped for breath through his laughter, "Really? That's what the sergeant said? Two more weeks with us?"

I quirked my eyebrow, a small smile on my face because of their laughter, but quite confused as to why they were laughing, "Yes...?"

Jonathan finally stopped laughing long enough to calm down, although it seemed he could have continued if he had wanted to, "Is that confusion about the position or about our laughing?"

I snorted, "Both?"

Jonathan swatted me hard on the back with a playful look, "We were just proud of ourselves."

My eyebrows both went up this time, "What do you mean? I glanced over at Owyn as I asked this, but he just set off into another round of laughter causing him to be unable to answer. I looked back at Jonathan, who had an almost-wicked grin on his face.

"We predicted something like this."

"You what?"

"You heard me." Jonathan crossed his arms as his smirk grew wider.

"You predicted that I would become head-strategist for the commander?" I deadpanned. They had to be joking.

Jonathan's eyes turned more thoughtful, but he still sported the teasing look, "Well, not exactly. But we have been competing as to who would come closest to the time you would be promoted and what position you would get," he paused, looked at Owyn, then back at me, "Which evidently, I won. So, now Owyn has to give me his dessert portions and clean my area for the next two weeks."

I just gazed at them both stupidly. Were they being serious? My question was answered when Owyn suddenly stopped laughing at Jonathan's remark, "No way, dude. I was the one who said the commander would call him. You said that the sergeant would."

Jonathan's smirk grew, "But I predicted that it would happen this week, and technically, it was the sergeant who informed him."

"But you did not get the right position."

"But I still won, because last time we said--"

"Guys!" I interrupted them. They had really seen this coming? What had caused that? And now that the thought was sinking in, I had suddenly realized my new position meant I would not really get to see them any longer.

They both turned to me, "What-- what made you think this would happen? I certainly did not see it coming."

Owyn answered this time, "You might not have noticed, Alex, but you really have made a huge difference in our unit and to everyone in this base, as I assume the sergeant informed you. Even the leaders have come to you many times asking for help. It might not have seemed strange to you, but if you had paid attention, you would have noticed that no one else got called on the same way. You are really very organized and strategic, not to mention strong and smart."

He paused, and then smirked, "Plus, if you would have noticed the almost-seven-quadrillion times one of the higher-ups was whispering to our sergeant somewhere near you while subtly gesturing towards you, you probably would have suspected."

I just stared at them. Jonathan nodded in agreement as they both watched me. But why? It still did not make any sense to me. In just a few minutes I would be whisked off to some office where I would have to read some books, hear some lessons, and complete some simulations. My mind whirled. It really would take quite a lot of time for my mind to adjust to this.

I glanced past Owyn and Jonathan at some other soldiers marching by as I processed. I nearly started when two of them noticed me and then saluted me with a satisfied smile. Was everyone really that excited for me?

Jonathan put his hand on my shoulder, "We are really happy for you, Alex. So is everyone else here. You are one of us, and we are super proud that you are the one getting this job. You deserve it."

I smiled absently, still trying to fully comprehend the whole situation, then gulped, "But you know that means that we will be separated in only two weeks."

When I said this, the full impact of this truth hit me. I would be alone. Again. I gulped while trying to plaster the smile back on my face. I did not know if I could go through that again. It would hurt too much. What would I do?

Both Owyn and Jonathan noticed the subtle change in my demeanor, and both of their eyes became serious.

"Alex, you will never be alone." Owyn's calm voice broke through the panic that was clawing at my mind.

Jonathan nodded and continued, "Think of it this way. God promoted you to this position. That means he means for you to do something there. But it also means he will provide everything you need in it."

I nodded, "Yeah. It's just hard to process, after, well, you know."

They both nodded.

I took a deep breath, "But you are right. This is a privilege."

Jonathan nodded as another small smirk appeared on his face, "Plus, if you really needed us with you, you would probably be in the position to get us there."

I stared at him, but when he said the words, I knew they were true. I would have a lot of power in that position. As the relief flowed through me, I opened my mouth to give a snarky retort but was cut off by someone running over and telling me that they were ready for me in training. I nodded and assured him I would be right there.

I started walking in that direction, but before I got out of hearing range, I turned my head slightly and allowed myself one last retort, "Want you there? What empty-headed strategist would want you two useless soldiers working for them?" I snorted.

I chuckled to myself as I walked into the training room, the echoing sounds of their laughter ringing in my ears the whole way.