Getting Promoted

I glanced over at Jonathan and Owyn from my spot in the line-up. Owyn had been sick the last few days and today was his first day back on duty. He seemed quite perky for having been sick so many days in a row. Jonathan just looked forward at the sergeant, intent and ready to hear what his orders would be that day. I smiled slightly. Even though this is not where I had guessed I would be at this point in my life, I was content. I had friends, a good job, a purpose, and most importantly, God.

It had been two years since we had come to this outpost on the southern coast of the country. Nothing very interesting had happened since we arrived. The most drastic thing we had done, or at least been involved in, was raiding a base where some illegal arms and explosives had been found. What we normally did, however, was guard the military port that rested only ten minutes march from our base. There had been very few threats, and strangely, our sergeant had seemed exceedingly pleased about it. We did not know why, but we spent a lot of our spare time discussing it.

I looked forward again, bringing my mind back to what the sergeant was saying. Something about changing duties, or stations, or something? I mentally face-palmed. I had not distracted to the point of missing what the sergeant said in several months. Now I would need to catch one of the others and make sure I knew what he had said.

So, when the sergeant called me out, I suddenly felt extremely jittery. Had I done something wrong? He could not possibly know I had been distracted, and I hoped that he would not "quiz" me on what he had just said, because I honestly could not repeat it. I wracked my brain for what could have caused him to call me out, but came up blank. I thought over the last few weeks.

I had done what I needed to do, and then some extra, as I normally did. I had been as helpful as possible and I felt that I had succeeded quite well. Though, actually, I could not thank myself for that. It seemed that whatever I did ended up succeeding. The only thing I could credit that to was God answering my prayers.

I glanced back and Jonathan and Owyn as the sergeant signaled for me to follow him to his office, hoping that maybe they would know something about this. But their faces showed just as much bewilderment as I felt. My heart sank. The last time I had been called by the sergeant was almost two years ago, when I was still having emotional break-downs related to—well, my brothers. But I pushed the thought out of my mind. I had not lost control since I had decided to follow God again; he gave me peace. However, many nights I still woke up, panicked, flashbacks running through my mind, and had to ask him to take away the anger, pain, and fear that occasionally plagued me.

My spine stiffened as the sergeant entered his office ahead of me and I took a deep breath as I followed. He sat down, his books, computer, and phone swamped by all the papers and writing utensils that were scattered on his desk. I stood at attention, not sure what he expected me to do. When he merely looked up at me over his circular-rimmed glasses and down at his computer, I was even more bewildered.

After a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, or at least uncomfortable for me, he looked back up at me and quirked an eyebrow, "At ease, Alexander."

I relaxed slightly, putting my hand down and spreading my legs a little more, but my shoulders were still filled with tension. The sergeant continued looking at me the same way, quirked eyebrow and all, until a small smirk appeared on his face. "You may sit down," he indicated the chair on the other side of his desk.

Now I was even more confused, but I sat down any way and looked at him. He chuckled again, "You know, the confused expression on your face could come out of a comedy movie or something."

My mouth nearly dropped open. I had never heard the sergeant joke with anyone. But I did not reply, still unsure of what he expected me to do.

"You may relax, Alexander. You aren't in trouble. The opposite in fact."