Chapter Ten: Emotional

Strap in, y'all, because this is going to be a rollercoaster.

February 28, 1964

John and Paul's stunt at George's party hadn't thrilled me, or Jane. If anything, it had just annoyed us. John and I had had a silly tension in the air between us the rest of the night that thankfully fizzled away when we'd gotten back home. I think he could sense that what he'd done was the complete wrong thing to do.

I was working at NEMS. The business had successfully moved from Liverpool to London after we'd moved out here too while the boys were gaining widespread popularity. I always loved to work shifts there. If Brian was down an employee, I was always ready to drop everything and go fill in.

Thomas had even moved out to London for school recently and had resumed working at the shop. It was always nice to see a familiar face that wasn't the Beatles that everyone knew.

Thomas had left for a break when the door opened and I saw John come in with a his hands in the pockets of his long coat and his face hidden by a hat. This was how the boys snuck around London without being noticed. If they were lucky, no one would work out who it was. They didn't really dare to do it too much.

When the door closed behind him, he took the hat off. The garment left his hair tousled slightly. He smiled when he saw me. He strode up to the front desk and rested his elbows on the surface. "Well, aren't you a pretty little receptionist?" he asked dopily.

I smiled. "Am I?"

He nodded happily. "Yes, you definitely are. I was wondering when you're out for lunch? They've just let me out of the studio finally. Had to do that bloody 'If I Fell' about fifty times." He rolled his eyes.

"Oh," I said. "I actually agreed to meet Jane today," I said apologetically.

His lips twitched down for a moment. "You can't possibly still be upset about what happened at George's party," he said irritatedly. "I told you I was sorry." His snappy tone kinda hurt.

"No, I'm not," I said evenly, trying not to show how the words stung me. "Can I not go out with friends? Is that not allowed all of a sudden?"

He shook his head. "No, no, of course it is," he replied, sighing. "Perhaps we can do something else later," he said. "I've got the day off tomorrow, so maybe we can go for a midnight walk again tonight?" He offered up a smile.

I nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice," I said, moving back away from him and sitting at a stool we had behind the counter.

His face fell. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I responded.

His head fell sideways. "You and I both know that isn't true."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm just strangely emotional right now, y'know."

His face contorted into the most concerned and terrified look I'd ever seen. "Why? Is everything okay?"

I nodded, fidgeting with my lanyard. "Of course everything's okay. I'd tell you if something wasn't."

"That's good, then." Visible relief. "So, tonight?" I nodded and we smiled at each other for a moment with love in our eyes. "I'll see you at home, love." He leaned over the counter and brushed his lips against mine. "And until then." He pulled away, dramatically carrying himself to the door. "I shall suffer without your love to keep me grounded." He put his hand to his heart and he put on a fake look of pain that you'd see Shakespeare actors do in renditions of Romeo and Juliet's death scene.

"I love you, John," I said with a smile, hearing the back door open, signaling Thomas's return.

John smiled as he turned the door handle and slipped his hat back on. "I love you too, Donna."

"I just miss him?" asked Thomas as he sat his backpack down next to the counter.

I nodded, continuing to fidget with my lanyard.

"Why the long face?" he asked.

I shrugged and looked up. "No idea," I said. "I've just got a funny feeling," I admitted.

"What kind of funny feeling?" Now Thomas's face looked concerned. "Do you want time to see if John's still around? Do you need me to get him?"

I shook my head feverishly. "No, no, I'm fine." I looked at my watch: 12:03. "I'm leaving for lunch," I said, rushing out and tucking away the empty feeling in my stomach.

~~~

By the time I had made it to the place I was to be meeting Jane, I had gone completely to back to normal, as if nothing had happened at all. I was so relieved that I could have cried.

"Donna! How's your day been?" Jane greeted me as I stored across the diner to sit down next to her.

I smiled. "It's been fine."

"That's good, then?"

I nodded. "What about you?"

She bobbed her head up and down. "It's been good. I'm ready to eat, though." She cracked a smile and I laughed.

"Something bothering you?" she asked then, but I couldn't reply because a waitress came up to take our orders. When she had left, Jane looked at me imploringly.

I shrugged. "I dunno. I just feel like something's changed in John. He always seems annoyed when I can't do things with him anymore. Like, I have more to my life than him and the others, right? Isn't that okay?"

Jane laughed. "Yes, of course that's okay. He'll get over himself, don't worry."

I nodded. "I sure bloody hope so." Then, I laughed. "Why am I so emotional right now?" I said.

"Are you—?" Jane began to ask, but I knew what she was going to ask. My head jerked up fast and a sense of horror fell over me.

"Shit, Jane, I'm late," I hissed. Jane's face became confused before she realized the reality of my words.

"You're what?" She asked, looking around hastily.

"I think I'm going to puke," I said and stood up quickly, making a frantic beeline for the bathroom.