Chapter Eighty-Five: Goodnight, Love

Hey, you...yes, you! You're almost done!

~~~

June 15, 1964

Donna's POV

I woke up with a piercing headache, worse than anything I'd ever felt in my life. I wasn't covered up by any blankets and I was still burning up. I didn't even want to bring myself to move. Nonetheless, I turned my head and saw John facing away from me, still asleep.

I whimpered to myself and buried my head into a pillow, trying desperately to go back to sleep, but when my moving around accidentally awoke John, I gave up any hope of that. I felt him roll over, even though I couldn't see him.

"I know you're awake," he cooed, his voice sounding ten times louder than it was.

"Oh, God," I groaned. "Don't talk."

"Baby's first real hangover."

"And I already never want to do it again," I mumbled, then looked up quickly, wincing when it sent a pain through my head again. "You were with a girl last night."

I couldn't recall John coming back to the room with me. All I remembered was Paul finding the bottle of alcohol in a cabinet and then waking up. I couldn't remember anything we'd said last night.

A look of surprise came over John's face.

"Why were you with another girl?"

"I already told you I was sorry," he replied, looking slightly terrified.

I sat up, ignoring the pain in my head. "Yeah, well, now I'm sober, and I'm not okay with it." Sitting up sent a wave of nausea through my stomach. John recognized the look on my face immediately, sitting up and reaching next to the bed to grab the little plastic trash can and hoisting it in front of me just as I puked.

"Aw, poor baby," he said with a sympathetic smile, but looking completely unsurprised. I frowned at him.

"You're not off the hook."

"And why not?"

"Because how do I know that you won't do it again?" I asked, hugging the trash can in my lap as if my life depended on it.

"Because you trust me?" he offered up desperately.

"I trusted you before and you've gone off and done it anyways, John."

He frowned. "All I did was talk to her. It's not like I was going to do anything. I was being friendly."

"So you have to look around and make sure I'm not in the room before you make friends?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

His brow glazed over in confusion. "You were in there?" he asked. "Were you watching to see if I was going to do that? Am I that untrustworthy?"

"No, I was trying to leave. Paul stopped me."

"Oh, so that's when your McCartney rendezvous started?"