Chapter Twenty-Eight: Number One in My Heart

April 6, 1964

"Ah, yes. Love, it's for you." John sang across the flat to me. I finished braiding my hair and then went towards him, struggling to get the elastic in to hold it. John grinned when he saw me.

"Let me help," he said as he handed over the phone to me. He took the elastic and began to loop it around the end of my braid.

"Hello?" I said into the phone.

"Donna?" Brian's voice greeted me.

"Hey, Bri. What's up?" I asked, although I suspected I already know what he was going to ask.

"Crisis down at NEMS," he said. "I've called everyone and they're all sick."

"Oh," I said. "Bizarre."

"You'll be alone, but if you could—?"

"I've got it, Bri. Don't worry. I'll drop the boys off for you and—."

"No worries. Just head there. I'll meet you there." Things we're getting stranger with each word that left his mouth.

"Oh," I said skeptically and flicked my eyes towards John. His shirt was untucked and he was twirling his tie between his fingers. We had both been in the middle of getting ready when Brian called. "I'll be there soon, then," I said finally. "But make sure Paul knows," I added. "He's not here."

"Ah, yes, thank you. See you soon."

"See you soo—," I began, but he'd already hung up. I put the phone down slowly, confused. I was jerked back to reality when a knock came on the door. John turned to the door, striding to open it as he tucked in his shirt.

Ringo looked at me weirdly when he came in the door. "Why d'you look like you've seen a ghost, then?" he asked.

I slammed the phone down loudly. Everyone looked at me, confused. "No reason," I answered quickly. "I'll be ready in a minute," I added, slipping off towards John and I's bathroom.

"You okay?" John asked me. I turned and saw him slouching in the doorway.

"Of course I am," I responded, smiling and putting my hairbrush in the drawer and out of the way. "Let's go."

~~~

"Good morning, boys," Brian greeted as the four of us stepped into NEMS.

"Morning, Eppy," said John enthusiastically, sitting down on a couch in the corner of the room. Paul showed up a moment later.

"There shouldn't be too many people coming 'round today, Donna," said Brian. I nodded. "Come here." He gestured back towards his office.

"Me?" I asked, unsure at first.

"Yes, you," he responded and gestured for me to join him. The silence around me made me feel like I was walking death row.

Brian led me back into his office and closed the door.

"What do you need?" I asked nervously.

"We're gonna close up at noon today," he said. "I need you to go by my parents house and give them this food." He pulled a bowl of some type of food out from a bag he had. "Mum is sick."

"Everything alright?" I asked him. Suddenly, the distress he seemed to be in made more sense.

"Yes, is just a little flu, but it's always nice to have some soup delivered, yeah?" He smiled.

I nodded in agreement. "I suppose it is."

"We'll probably be done on set at 1:30, so I guess if you'd like, you can come and join us for the last little bit."