Chapter Fifty-Six: A Little Help?

May 2, 1964

"John, John, look!" Donna was standing in front of the glass door that led out onto a balcony in our hotel room, staring out at the beautiful, blue ocean.

"What's that, love?" I asked her, coming up behind her and resting my hands on her hips.

"Isn't it pretty?" she said excitedly, her voice hitching slightly when she felt my hands.

"Yes, it is," I replied, smiling graciously when she looked up at me to catch my reaction.

The sun was just setting and we'd finally gotten settled up here before we would be going out with Pattie and George for dinner in a few minutes.

She'd changed into a flowy dress for dinner. It fell just above her knees and looked beautiful on her. Her hair was down now, contrary to earlier, and she had it pinned back out of her face in the front.

"You look beautiful," I said to her amusedly, catching her face go all flustered in the reflection of the door, just like I always liked to see it go.

"Thank you," she squeaked in response.

"We should go now," I whispered, slipping away from her dramatically and turning to go towards the door.

She followed, picking up her purse from a table next to the door and stepping outside when I opened the door.

A moment later, Pattie and George emerged from their room too.

"Ready?" asked George, locking the door to their room and turning to Donna and me.

"Always," I responded, gesturing for them to lead the way down the hallway and out onto the street. No one around here knew who we were, so it was alright for us to go out without trying to disguise ourselves. It was almost weird to go out there as just ourselves, not someone else.

"Where are we off to?" asked Pattie curiously.

I shrugged. "Some Hawaiian place," I responded. "I can't remember what it's called exactly. I suspect the food will be delicious, though!"

"It better be," mumbled George. "Airline food sure isn't."

Everyone laughed. "We should use George to sample restaurants for us," quipped Donna from next to me. "He's a world-class food taster!"

George put on an annoyed look, but couldn't suppress a smile at the comment. "I volunteer," he said.

"Oh, I'm sure you do!" I said, shoving him in the shoulder playfully.

He stumbled a bit but didn't lose his balance, thanks to Pattie next to him, catching him before he fell.

"A newborn baby could push you over, Geo," Donna said.

"Whatever," he replied, looking down at his feet.

"Ah, yes!" I said, pointing to a large tent-like building in front of us. "Food awaits!"

As we went up to the building, picking up our pace to reach it faster, two people emerged from inside with four lei in each of their hands. They greeted us enthusiastically and then draped the necklaces around our necks, taking us over to one of the tables to sit us down.

"All pretty girls need some flowers," mocked Donna when they'd left, gesturing to the garments on George and me.

I smiled sarcastically. "Of course," I replied, making my voice comically high for added effect.

~~~

After we ate dinner, the sun had completely set and we decided that the best time to go to the beach would be then since no one else was bound to be there with it being so late, so once we'd made it back to the hotel, we made our way outside again.

We were correct in assuming that, much to our enjoyment. The place was completely deserted.

"John!" I turned around and was met with a face full of seawater and a giggling Donna.

I coughed and then bent down, splashing some up on her too. "Two can play at that game," I said and she turned to run away from me, purposely kicking up water as she ran.

"Hey, we're going back upstairs." George and Pattie had come up beside me.

"Alright," I said tauntingly. "Have a nice night."

"Yeah, you too, John," George replied, turning to leave before I could say anything else.

"Bye!" called Donna from somewhere down the beach.

"Adios, Epstein," called George as he and Pattie disappeared.

"Now," I began. "Where was I?" I turned back in the direction Donna had disappeared in.

"Gonna have to catch me," I heard her voice dare, quiet and provoking.

I heard her in front of me and judging by the volume of her voice, figured that she couldn't really be too far from where I was standing, so I began to move forward blindly, searching for her in the darkness.

"Boo!" I jumped, feeling her hands on my shoulders from behind me. I turned around with a smirk and dove down to pick her up, cradling her like a baby. She put her arms around my neck, panting because of how she'd been running around a few moments ago. In the dim moonlight, I could just make out her beaming face. "Guess what?" she said, smiling maniacally.

"What's that?" I asked, grinning.

"I love you!" she said optimistically.

"Aww," I replied teasingly. "She loves me! I'm flattered."

She laughed, then leaned up to try and put her lips to mine, frowning when she fell just a few inches too short. I smirked. "Ahem," she said. "A little help?"

"With pleasure," I responded, but instead of lifting her up so she could reach, I just sat us down on the sand and pulled her across my lap. I beat her to the kiss.

"Hey, Donna?" I asked, pulling away to give her a cheeky smile.

"Yes?" she asked in response, looking giddy for something she knew that I was about to give her. "Remember earlier? When you said that 'one will get what they want later?'"

She pretended to think back for a moment, then shrugged. "I guess I do."

"Well," I hummed, playing with the hemline of her dress. "Is it perhaps later yet?"

She nodded, her face breaking into a wide smirk. "Perhaps."

"Well?" I asked expectantly. She stood up and then helped me to my feet. I ran ahead of her, pulling her along urgently as we both laughed, the sounds of the ocean waves crashing in our ears.

~~~

YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!