Chapter Seventy-Seven: I Couldn't Even Take Care of a Cat

June 2, 1964

I liked long car rides. Before I was the one driving, I would sleep the whole way and it would really take away from what I could be enjoying.

I had stopped and got some coffee before leaving London to help keep me awake the whole way there.

I was there by one. I stopped off at the house first and went by to talk to Mimi before I called Trixie and asked her when she wanted me to come.

"Right now!" she screeched into the phone happily.

I laughed. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am," she said, more calm this time. "Come on over. We'll make dinner and everything!"

"Oh, that really isn't nec—."

"Don't you tell me no," she said. "We've got to make it anyways, so a little extra won't hurt a fly. Now, come on!"

"Oh, okay, I'll be there in ten minutes tops."

"And we'll be waiting! Bye-bye!"

"B—," I began, but she'd already hung up the phone in her eagerness, so I lowered the phone back onto the stand.

I picked up my keys from the coffee table and stepped back out onto the streets of Liverpool, locking the door behind me. It always felt good to come back. Liverpool felt like my home.

Trixie's house wasn't too far from where I was, so it took no time to get over there. I was listening to the Rolling Stones sing "Mona (I Need You Baby)" when I finally got there.

Trixie and Seamus's house wasn't huge, but to had a cottage-y feel to it that I really enjoyed. Their yard was nicely done with flowers and finely-trimmed trees and grass. Seamus was a landscaper. He worked with flowers and all that all day, so I wasn't surprised that their garden always looked so beautiful.

Trixie had started her own little garden in the fenced-in backyard with the help of Seamus where she grew various vegetables. I imagine with the pregnancy and all, Seamus had been doing a lot of the work on that for a few months.

I made my way up the sidewalk and admired all the different flowers that were just beginning to bloom as I walked by them. When I made it to the door, I knocked lightly. It didn't take long for Trixie to make her way to the door to open it.

She didn't look like she'd just had a baby at all. She had always been a strong person, so it didn't surprise me that she already looked back to her normal self when she opened the door. She pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so glad you're here!" she said happily.

"It's so good to see you," I told her. "Spending all my time with a world-famous band can be exhausting."

We both laughed. "Oh, come on in!" she said. "Seamus is in the backyard. I'll get him in here."

I stepped into the house and was met with the smell of more flowers. In the foyer, she had some candles lit and all the windows were open, letting in a satisfying summer breeze.

Trixie led me on through the house and into the kitchen, where she leaned out the window to yell to Seamus in the backyard.

Seamus was tall and rather lanky, much taller than me for sure, but to be fair, most people were taller than me. When he heard his name being called, he peeked up from where he was tending to some flowers and began walking back towards the house when Trixie motioned for him to.

"So," she said to me, beckoning for me to sit down on the couch, which I did. "Henry is sleeping right now. He should be up soon. In the meantime." She smirked.

"Why do I feel like you're about to rob me of everything?" I asked with a laugh.

"Tell me about John!" she said. "Tell me everything."

"Well, um—." I paused.

"I have a feeling his proposal wasn't normal."

I nodded. "You're right. Nothing ever seems to be normal with us, does it?"

"Oh, lord," she said. "Don't tell me it was outside of a hospital while you were crying." We both laughed.

"No, I can confirm it wasn't that. We were...arguing."

"Yeah, that's probably the strangest one I've heard yet," she confirmed.

"It's like...not as weird as you'd think. I was just being stupid," I admitted, looking down.

"Where were you?"

"Ah, that's the kicker. We were in Hawaii."

"Oh? That's pretty fancy, isn't it?"

"That was only a part of the trip. We were up in Tahiti the next day."

"Yeah? How was it up there?"

"It was beautiful," I told her. "Like something straight out of a storybook." I left out that I was completely sick for most of the first week.

"Ah, what a dream."

"Baby's awake." I looked up to see Seamus coming into the room, holding a little bundle of blankets in his hand.

"He could sense that Donna was here," Trixie said teasingly, standing up to take him from Seamus with an excited look on her face. She came and sat down next to me and I peered at the little baby in her arms.

"Trix," I said. "He's precious."

"Thank you," she said. "You wanna hold him?"

"I won't break him, will I?" I laughed.

"Of course you won't," she replied dismissively, handing him off to me. I took him in my arms and peered down at him, taking in all of his miniature features with a glint of fondness in my eyes.

"Guys, he's beautiful," was all I could think to say. I looked up to see both of them smiling at me proudly.

"Oh, c'mon, Donna, don't you want one?" asked Trixie tauntingly.

I rolled my eyes. "Could you imagine John as a father?"

She thought a moment. "Not really," she admitted. "But, I can imagine you as a mother. A good one, at that."

"Hmm," I replied. "Dunno about that one."

"Oh, come off it. You'd be great!"

"I couldn't even take care of a cat," I said jokingly.