Chapter Seventeen: It'll Just Speak To Us

March 31, 1964

"Donna, how about this one?"

John was holding a magazine with some houses printed on the front, his guitar hanging loosely around his neck. I went over to him and rested my head on his shoulder to look at the listing he was pointing at. The house wasn't big, but it wasn't small. It was just outside of London.

I nodded. "I like that one," I said, reading over the description.

John and I had been finally finding time to look at houses now that his book had finally been released and all we had two try about was the filming of their movie.

"Y'see," he said. "Four bedrooms. We could have a music room and an office and even a guest room for when Paul comes home to the wrong house drunk!"

I laughed. "That sounds nice."

"And it's got a nice amount of land around it. We could get ourselves a wittle doggy woggy," he said.

"John!" Brian called over to us. "C'mon, it's time to record."

John handed the magazine to me and gave me a quick peck on the lips. "We'll have to go look at it, then, yeah?" he said with a smile.

I nodded and he scuffled off towards the stage. Brian came up beside me and I looked up at him.

"Find a place?" he asked me with a supportive smile.

"Dunno," I answered. "Definitely a candidate, though."

"Well," he said. "You'll know when you get the right one. It'll speak to you."

I laughed. "Will it?"

He nodded. "Yes, it will. Now, c'mon, let's get you down to the audience so you can get me my inside scoop."

I laughed again. "Oh, alright."

~~~

John came out of our bathroom with nothing but a towel around his waist and a smirk on his face.

"Can I help you?" I asked him as I looked up from the notebook I was writing in, setting my pen aside and folding my hands around one of my knees.

"Well," he said, coming over and standing me up from the desk chair, wrapping his arms around me. "I'd like to ask you, my dear, what you'd like?"

"Of what sort?" I asked cheekily. "Because in actuality, I'd really like to take a shower. My turn." I kissed his jawline sensually and pulled back away from his longing grip, a grip that had slowly tightened.

He closed his eyes a moment as he let out a long sigh, leaning down to kiss my lips. I jumped out of the way and pranced innocently towards the bathroom. "I believe in you," I quipped. "You can wait."

"Oh, but, love," he whined. "There's no way." He strode across the room and took a forceful grip on my waist, teasingly tugging at the top of my skirt. "You're like a drug. I've said that before, haven't I? You know what happens when you take drugs?"

I shook my head. "Do share, Johnny."

He raised his eyebrows. "Well, you become addicted, of course," he responded matter-of-factly. "I've become addicted to you. I can't simply wait."

He was mere centimeters away from my face now. I wasn't dumb, though. I managed to slip out of his grip and into the bathroom, closing the door before he could interject.

"You'll have to catch me first," I said suggestively, leaning against the door to get my words across to him.

"You wretch," he quipped, wrenching open the door and wrapping his arms around me, the towel falling from around him as he picked me up.

My legs wrapped tightly around his waist so I wouldn't fall to the ground. "Lennon!" I screeched, suddenly thankful that Paul had gone out with George and Ringo.

He smiled at me maniacally as he sat me up on the counter to begin helping me out of my clothes.

"What?" he asked, pulling away from me to admire his work and batting his eyelashes innocently. "I thought you might like some help?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure that's what you were thinking."

"C'mon," he said. "Let's get you cleaned up."

I shook my head with a smile on my face that I couldn't seem to wipe away.

~~~

"But, be honest, dear." John's voice was a hiss in my ear, sending nervous butterflies through my stomach. We were laying under the soft covers on our bed, facing one another, close, but still not touching. "How'd you like that house I found earlier?"

"I loved it," I said with a wide grin.

"That's good, isn't it?" He smiled, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "Because I've got us set to go look at it, and some others, tomorrow after filming."

I beamed. "Really?"

He nodded, satisfied with himself. "Yes, really. You think we'll find the one?" he asked, making a silly gesture with his hands.

"I dunno," I said with a laugh. "Maybe we will."

"How do you think we'll know?" he asked curiously. "If it's the one."

I rolled my eyes and shrugged, laughing as I thought back to Brian's words earlier. "I dunno, John. I think it'll just speak to us. It'll just say, 'You crazy lovers, this is the one!' and we'll know!"

He laughed and put his arms around me. "I love you, you silly bird," he murmured fondly.

"I love you too," I replied, relaxing in his embrace.

We didn't say anything for a moment. Not until someone knocked on our door. John rolled his eyes at me before calling out. "Yes?" Irritation.

"Just wondering if you were here," Paul said from the other side of the door. "You're awfully quiet in there."

"That's what usually happens when you're sleeping," John replied. "You can go now."

We heard Paul shuffle away. John removed his arms from around me to reach over and flick the light off.

"Bedtime," he said teasingly. I laughed and settled in close to him, burying myself into his chest as he traced symbols on my back with his fingers.

"Can you sing to me?" I asked him.

He chuckled lightly. "Does the moon come out at night? Have any requests, ma douce Donna?"

"Hmm," I said. "How about our song? 'Words of Love.'"

"With pleasure, my love."

It didn't take long before I'd passed out.