Chapter Seventy-Five: Someday.

June 1, 1964

Right as we were about to leave for the studio again, the phone rang. John was in the bathroom, so I ran over to it and picked up the receiver to put it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Donna?" I was met by Trixie's voice on the other end. It sounded excited.

"Trix?" I asked curiously. "What's up?"

"Well," she said as if she had something to hide. "First of all, tell me how your vacation went, and then I'll tell you."

"It went good," I responded. "John—uh—proposed." I blushed, looking down and twirling the phone cord in my hand.

"I knew it!" she said rather loudly and I jumped at the sudden onset of noise. "Congratulations," she added in a much quieter voice.

"Yes, thank you," I replied. "Now, it's your turn."

"I had a baby," she said, giddy with excitement.

"What?" I asked, a laugh falling from between my lips.

"Yes," she responded. "His name is Henry," she added. "He can't wait to meet his Auntie Donna!"

I smiled and saw John come up behind me. I put a finger up to tell him to wait a minute or so and moved so that I was sitting on one of our stools.

"Aww, tell him I can't wait to meet him too." I paused. "Well, congratulations, Trix!"

"Thank you," she responded and I could hear the proud smile in her voice.

"Give Seamus my congratulations as well. I'll have to find my way down there as fast as I can. If only I knew when that would be."

She laughed. "You're a busy girl, I get it. We'll be waiting."

John tapped me on the shoulder and I looked at him imploringly.

"Trixie?" he mouthed. I nodded with a wide grin on my face. "Tomorrow," he added.

"What?"

"Tell her you can be down there tomorrow."

"But—?"

"Donna?" asked Trixie on the other line.

"I—." John took the phone out of my hands.

"She can be down there tomorrow," he said, grinning at me slyly. I dropped my head into my hands.

"Oh, no, it's no problem," he said to her. "We aren't leaving for Denmark until the fourth...oh, you're not telling me no." I let out a dry laugh and reached up to take the phone back away from him.

"Trixie, I'm sorry, John took it away." I glared at him. He just smiled back innocently.

Trixie was laughing. "So?"

I gave John one last look and he gave an encouraging nod. "I guess I'll be down there tomorrow," I replied with a little laugh.

"Good! I should be getting out of here tomorrow morning. I guess I'll see you then."

"See you then," I replied before bidding her a goodbye and hanging up the phone.

"I knew you wanted to get rid of me," I quipped, smiling at John.

"I want to do nothing of the sort," he answered. "I just want you to be happy."

I went over and placed a quick kiss on his cheek. "Thanks," I responded.

His face turned pink. "You're welcome."

"But what's Brian gonna say about this?"

"I'll do your bloody job if he wants me to. You're going down there and that's final." Then, his expressions turned curious. "What exactly are you going down there for?" he asked and I laughed.

"Trixie had her baby," I responded promptly, smiling happily. "I've got to go see him."

"Yeah?" asked John as we began to go towards the door. He picked up his guitar and we stepped outside.

"Yes," I replied. "Isn't that exciting?"

"It is," he assured me, but had an odd look on his face.

"John?" I asked curiously. "You okay?"

He looked at me confusedly. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"That was the most unconvincing thing I've ever heard you say."

"It was?" he asked defeatedly.

"Yes, it was. Now, tell me what's wrong."

"I dunno, really," he said. "It's just weird, seeing everyone our age already having kids. It's just..."

"It's what?" I asked him, looking down at my feet as I walked.

"Bizarre."

"So, what're you saying?" I asked teasingly. "That we should be next?"

He looked at me with an alarmed look on his face, relaxing when he saw that I was only joking. He laughed. "No, no, that is not what I'm saying."

"And, you said everyone," I commented. "Who's everyone?"

He thought a moment. "I don't really know. I guess it's just Trixie."

"What would you do right now if I told you I was pregnant?"

He looked up to read my face, seeming to make sure I was telling another joke. "I would—y'know—." He paused. "I don't really know."

"Would you be happy?" I further questioned as we climbed into the car.

"Well, yes, I mean, of course I would be. I think that a mini-me would be pretty fun." He looked up to give me a teasing smile.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Wait, you're not, though, are you?" he asked.

I laughed, putting the key into the ignition and turning the car on. "No, I'm not. I was just curious."

He laughed, looking down at his lap. "Right. Well, to quench your curiosity," he began dramatically. "I would be happy, yes. I'd also be...quite terrified, but it would be okay because I'd get to raise a child with the love of my life. Wouldn't that be great?"

I smiled at him. "Yes it would be."

"What do you think our children would be like?" he asked amusedly. It surprised me how easily he was talking about this. I would have expected him to have changed the subject the first opportunity he got, but instead, he was diving headfirst into it.

"Stubborn," I answered.

He laughed. "For sure. If they took after you, they'd be very beautiful," he quipped.

I raised my eyebrows at him. "You sure?"

He put on a fake look of offense. "Are you calling me a liar?"

"Of course I'm not." I giggled.

"Well, yes, I'm bloody sure," he said. "Imagine that. Us as parents."

"Oh my God, what would we do?" I remarked.

"What would we do?" he repeated.

"So, does that mean you'd want kids someday?" I made the bold decision to ask.

He nodded. "Of course I do," he answered. "Someday."

"Someday."

~~~

I'm gonna come and tease y'all again by saying that I've completely finished this book ehe. You've got roughly three more weeks😌