Chapter Forty-Four: I Still Hate Going Out (At Age Twenty-One)

April 24, 1964

I watched as Paul, John, and George played a game of cards at my feet. I didn't really know what they were doing, but whatever it was, they were certainly enjoying it.

Ringo was outside filming some scenes alone. Today was finally the last day of filming and it seemed everyone was just excited to get out and be done. They had a few live shows coming up soon. Afterward, they were done with work for a good few weeks and it would finally be time for their vacation.

"I win again!" I heard George yell.

Paul threw his cards down frustratedly. John frowned. "Good job, Geo," they grumbled together.

John looked down at his watch. "It's already one," he grumbled. "Surely he'll almost be done?" He looked at me pleadingly.

"John, you do know we got here at noon, right?" I offered meekly.

"Seriously? It felt much earlier than that."

"Late night?" remarked Paul.

"Wouldn't you like to know," I sneered.

John gave a sarcastic smile. "Nothing within your interest," he responded.

"Would you like to play cards with us, Donna?" asked George timidly.

"I don't know how to," I admitted. "If you're willing to teach me."

"Of course we are," answered John, patting a space next to him on the floor with a little smile. I slid out of the chair and placed myself on the floor next to him.

Paul took the deck of cards and began to shuffle them. "Or we could play a simpler game for Epstein," he quipped. "Go Fish, perhaps?" I gave him a sarcastic smile.

"Paul, just pass the bloody cards out and shut up," said John.

"Oh, John," said Paul, stopping what he was doing to put a hand over his heart. "I'm hurt."

"Bloody hell," said George, snatching the cards and beginning to pass them out himself.

"You too, George?" asked Paul in the same innocent, joking voice.

"Yes," replied George stoutly.

~~~

The evening started out like any other would have.

"Have we got to go?"

I had looked at myself in the mirror. The dress wasn't too short for me, and it wasn't too tight either. I still didn't like it, though. I'd rather not be seen in it, but I didn't have a choice. It was one of the very few more formal dresses I owned.

"Of course we have," John had said, passing by the bathroom, but coming back when he got a full look at me.

"Bloody hell," he said, studying me up and down, mesmerized. His gaze made me all nervous like I wanted to fade away. His eyes came back up to meet my flustered expression, a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Sorry, love," he had remarked, coming up and putting his hands on my hips. "Didn't mean to flatter you."

"You definitely did," I had replied with a giggle.

"If you should say so...." He had studied me again, fondly. "You're just so—." He had paused to find the right word. "—So gorgeous," he decided on finally, unable to stop smiling.

"Really?" I asked uncertainly, peeking at myself again.

He lifted my head so I was looking him directly in the eye. "Yes, really. What do you think I am? A liar."