6

Training for self defense was going well, and I had taken on some boxing as another form other than learning just a few moves. It helped keep me occupied when I wasn't working.

"Dr. Hartford?" I turned at the sound of my name. I saw one of my patients, Tom, walk in.

"Tom, how are you?" I asked politely, stepping away from Max, who was now my trainer.

"I'm okay, I didn't know you worked," he motioned towards Max with his head.

I glanced back and gave a nod. "Yeah, it's new.  I'm learning some self defense, just in case," I explained.

"I think things are starting to get better now, there hasn't been any raids or stolen supplies in the past three days."

"Really? Jason hasn't mentioned that to me," I looked down, wondering why Jason wouldn't say anything.

"It's only 3 days, but it seems like Jason has it under control now.  Definitely helps with my anxiety," Tom chuckled.

I grinned. "Well I'm glad to hear, hopefully that means we can go outside without worrying now!"

"Have you been outside since being here?" Tom asked me.

I shook my head. "No, we wanted to wait so people wouldn't recognize me as some sort of runaway, and the with all this," I tried explaining.  I had kind of forgotten that I technically broke out of a hospital to be with Jason, but it had been over a month now and I hadn't even thought of asking to go outside yet.

"Well, with things looking up, I bet Jason would let you out," Tom said optimistically.

"Yeah, I'm not too sure about that," I chuckled.

Tom shrugged, "Wouldn't hurt to ask."

I gave a small nod. "I better get back now," I said, referring to my workout.

"Have a good workout!" he smiled before going to the weights.

I looked down, still wondering why Jason wouldn't tell me if things have gotten better, although I guess he didn't have to update me with his "business". But if the attacks really are over, maybe I could ask Jason to go out and do some shopping, or something just to get some fresh air.  I really had forgotten how long I had been in here until now.

I came down for dinner, looking around for Jason as I never knew if he would eat with me or not. I spotted him coming in from the garage, looking tired. "Jason!" I called him over. He gave a small grin as he walked over, kissing me on the cheek. "Are you going to eat with me tonight?"

"Uh..." Jason glanced over at the kitchen.  "I don't know..."

"Please? I want to talk to you about something," I held his hand, hoping to convince him.  This was the best time to talk to him.

Jason sighed, but gave in, "Okay, just let me get changed into clean clothes."

"Great," I smiled, pecking him on the lips this time before letting him go.

Minutes later, we both sat at the table with plates stir fry in front of us.  We both started eating, and I was unsure whether or not to just get to the point.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Jason asked, unintentionally answering my internal thoughts.

"Well...how are things with deliveries?" I started off.

Jason furrowed his eyebrows, "What?"

"One the members told me you haven't been attacked in three days."

"Maybe when he's gone out, but we're still being attacked and having our supplies stolen," he explained.

"Oh," I said, looking down disappointed.

"What does that have to do with anything? It's none of your concern."

"I just...I realized I haven't been outside in so long and I was hoping with things getting better, I could go out, like downtown..." I trailed off.

"You haven't been out because you broke out of a hospital, if someone recognizes you..."

"I know, I know that.  But it wasn't supposed to be like that forever! It's been quite a while and we're in a different location so...I don't know," I shook my head as my explanation was going nowhere.

There was silence and I kept my eyes down at my food.  "Okay," Jason finally said.

My head picked up, unsure if I was just hearing things. "What?"

"Tomorrow, if you want to go out, then you can go," he replied to my surprise.

"Thank you..."

Jason shook his head.  "You don't have to thank me, I've learned from last time that I can't treat you like a prisoner.  The point of us doing this again is to do it right, you living with me and not just under my control." I smiled, thinking back to how he first was and how far we've both come. "I do want someone to go with you, since these raids are still happening and they might recognize you as being with me," he added.

"How would they know..."

"It's just to be safe, Katie," he interrupted me.

I nodded, understanding where he was coming from.  "That's fine," I agreed.

"I'll see if Max can drive you, and look after you since you're already comfortable with him.  Does that work?"

"Yeah, that's perfect."